Bought a dz hatching eggs, only 5 fertile, is this the norm/acceptable?

Peeperscreepers

Songster
Apr 3, 2018
Peidmont-ish NC, us
So I bought 12 BLRW hatching eggs locally, for 50$, she gave me 18, only 5 showed signs of development so I decided to open the ones that didnt and they were not fertilized, ALL 13, YOLKERS, no bulls-eye. I have not bought hatching eggs before and am a little disappointed considering I've been trying to find these forever. My question is, is this the norm or acceptible when dealing with hatching eggs?? I've read fertility can be a problem with BLRW and sometimes you may have to trim butt fluff, shes a breeder/shows so im sure she knows this. I dont want to seem like a butt by contacting her, I don't expect her to replace but maybe she should know her fertility rate is low. Gah.. I hope I at least get a blue cockeral and blue pullet out of this or even spash or black of one or the other so I can eventually hatch myself a couple blue chicks for a start. I'm just a little sad and dissapionted:hmm.

So I bought 12 BLRW hatching eggs locally, for 50$, she gave me 18, only 5 showed signs of development so I decided to open the ones that didnt and they were not fertilized, ALL 13, YOLKERS, no bulls-eye. I have not bought hatching eggs before and am a little disappointed considering I've been trying to find these forever. My question is, is this the norm or acceptible when dealing with hatching eggs?? I've read fertility can be a problem with BLRW and sometimes you may have to trim butt fluff, shes a breeder/shows so im sure she knows this. I dont want to seem like a butt by contacting her, I don't expect her to replace but maybe she should know her fertility rate is low. Gah.. I hope I at least get a blue cockeral and blue pullet out of this or even spash or black of one or the other so I can eventually hatch myself a couple blue chicks for a start. I'm just a little sad and dissapionted:hmm.
I would let the breeder know. You might get another dozen due to the low fertility

What are you looking for to check for fertility through the shell?
If they are selling them as fertile yes. Otherwise they would be what possibly fertile. Dunno haven’t bought eggs before. So how do you? Is it just a cross your fingers crap shoot. For 50$ there should be some kind of accountability shouldn’t there? Or am I nuts? (Don’t answer that)

ALL 13, YOLKERS,
Hi there. :frow

That's a fair question and great that you aren't trying to be accusatory or jumping to conclusion! BYC is a great place for feedback. :highfive:

And boy have I got opinions :oops: and experience. ;)

So please let me ask some questions and share a little to..

On what day did you crack these blanks open? Since you say bought local can I presume they were not shipped? Do you know how many birds are in her flock, their ages, how closely related they are, where they came from, how long she's had them, what she does to test her own fertility, her own personal hatch rate, or anything like that? Also how is the size of the eggs?

I learned to ask the important questions the hard way. :hmm Fortunately it was only a $60 lesson... but now I'm armed with information. :yesss:

It's true that breeding all rose combs CAN lower sperm motility after several generations. Some sneak in a straight comb here and there... as seen in SOOO many hatchery Wyandottes.

I have bred and raised dozens of breeds (and hundreds of birds) to include some of the fluffiest like Silkies and Orpington... not once have I needed to trim fluff to increase fertility... That doesn't mean I don't think it's a possibility. Many MANY things do effect fertility, and I've seen enough to know that just because I haven't experienced it doesn't mean others didn't.

The fact that she gave 18 eggs... kinda says to me that they already suspected something... But maybe they are just more generous than me or keep a larger flock with more to spare.:confused:

As someone who cares very much about my breeding program and understanding that small time... word of mouth and happy customers counts... I would WANT to know that fertility was low. I won't personally sell hatching eggs without verifying fertility and disclosing if it was... here comes the question... "less than acceptable".

One way or the other 5 out of 12 is not an acceptable amount of fertility for selling hatching eggs IMO. That's about 42%, freebies don't even figure into that actual number... which about 28%.

Too many people get a new breed and wanna sell their hatching eggs while their stock is still young... and for a premium. I realized they are sold out for this year, but they are otherwise readily available. I also understand their is MAJOR difference in quality between GOOD breeders (ones who select hard) and hatchery, but reduced chance of disease is a major bonus. In some instances you can sexed chicks for the same cost as the eggs... and I don't mean to dog out the little guy giving a go at an awesome hobby, but....

https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Baby-Chicks/Blue-Laced-Red-Wyandotte-p738.aspx

https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?prodID=BLRS

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/blue_laced_red_wyandotte.html

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/blue-laced-red-wyandottes.html

If they are selling them as fertile yes. Otherwise they would be what possibly fertile. Dunno haven’t bought eggs before. So how do you? Is it just a cross your fingers crap shoot. For 50$ there should be some kind of accountability shouldn’t there? Or am I nuts? (Don’t answer that)
You can only tell by cracking the egg open and checking the blastodisk/blastoderm or the way I do it is by incubating eggs from the same stock... It does NOT have to be a crap shoot. :cool:

ETA: This time of year I just shipped 1 dozen Silkie hatching eggs for a school project and they got 100% fertility and 7/12 hatched. Again so many things factor in.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom