Bought as hen, but think this 5 month old may be a roo? *MORE PICS

The comb appears small IF it were a single comb. It appears, however, that the bird has a pea comb which would be just the right size for a cockerel of that age. Also, no hen, of any breed, has a tail like that. Hen's tails will be in several different positions, have various angles, and can be more 'V' or 'U' shaped when viewed from the rear, but never will they have the showy sickle feathers that arch up and out like that bird has. If you look at my Australorp hen's tail here:

Ms_Reyneisha.jpg

and then the tail on my CB Marans rooster:

Cooper4.jpg

And then your bird:

mystery.jpg

You can see what I am talking about. Your bird has the sickle feathers growing in that a hen will not have. The sikles take the longest to grow in but they are very distinctive compared to a normal feather.

Richard

Last edited:
Quote:
Your pictures helped and I tend to agree because it was the feather positioning in the tail that started making me question here recently! So since I bought two "hens" do I contact the lady and ask for a hen of the same age and return her rooster, or what? I just bought them four weeks ago and I certainly couldn't have said hen or rooster, so I asked her to give me two hens to add to my flock of two other hens and a rooster I already had and hoped she knew what she was doing. I also paid for hens and do not truly have room for another roo!
barnie.gif

Last edited:
I have one JUST like that . Its a Black Australorp and VERY MUCH A HEN.

ALSO at 5 months old IT would be crowing like crazy if it were a ROOSTER .

100% HEN

Last edited:
Quote:
Your pictures helped and I tend to agree because it was the feather positioning in the tail that started making me question here recently! So since I bought two "hens" do I contact the lady and ask for a hen of the same age and return her rooster, or what? I just bought them four weeks ago and I certainly couldn't have said hen or rooster, so I asked her to give me two hens to add to my flock of two other hens and a rooster I already had and hoped she knew what she was doing. I also paid for hens and do not truly have room for another roo!
barnie.gif

I HAVE ONE JUST LIKE YOURS AND SHE IS 6 MONTHS OLD . AND LAYING . TRUST ME ON THIS ONE . SHE IS ALL HEN

I can see those shiny saddle feathers way up here in canada, together with that peacomb.
That is a beautiful, black easter egger rooster!!!! As for him not crowing, I have a 6 month old ameraucana and blrw which still don't say a word, but they got all their saddle feathers in and overall look like roo so I know they are both boys. I am sure Salvador(my head roo) is keeping them pushed down in the ranks, thats why they are so quiet.

im curious, did u go to the lady u bought the hen/rooster from ? did u find out what it was? im not too sure but it kinda looked like a hen to me, especially if its a mixed breed, you never know what to expect.

Back
Top Bottom