Bought DE (or so I thought) and ended up with...

trase

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 31, 2010
Tyrone Township, MI
I went to a local feed supplier yesterday to get DE, as our TSC does not sell it and good ole Lyle there looked at me like I was nuts when I asked for it. (And proceeded to direct me to a bunch of chemical insecticides, bah!)

It was my first time there and I was chatting with the manager, her family owns that store and another downstate, I'm really thrilled to know about their operation because they offer some things that I can't get at TSC (like the DE). While I paid for my purchases, the guy who works there loaded the bag of what was supposed to be DE into my pickup, and I went on my merry way. It wasn't until I got home and unloaded the bag into the coop and opened it that I realized it is "Aragonite Flour," not Diatomaceous Earth. It's a plain brown bag with a simple text tag attached. I should have been paying better attention.

Now, it seems like that will work for the babies as they get older as a calcium ration, right? Or should I be returning it? Of course, my option with that may be limited because I opened it.
barnie.gif

I swear, I don't think there is anywhere local I can buy food-grade DE here in mid-Michigan. Perhaps at some of the elevators or suppliers that are an hour plus away, but it's so frustrating - we are on 14 acres in a rural community, not living in an urban area! You'd think that this would not be such an issue.

Do most of you mail order your DE? I'm just shuddering at how much 50 lbs is going to cost to ship.

Arganite is a calcium flour. It would make your egg shells nice and hard.
Don't you love it when they ain't got a clue?
I would take it back because that is not what you asked for.

Last edited:
I vote take it back and tell them this is not what I paid for nor did I want this and since your packing was just a plain brown wrapper I opened it sorry, this is what I want (then show a picture of the DE) that way maybe they will know better and get that for you also what I would do is tell them you want to see it before you leave to make sure they are selling you the right product.

If you order online the DE good luck paying that shipping fee.
Well good luck to you either way Hope it works out for you in the end.

I vote take it back and tell them this is not what I paid for nor did I want this and since your packing was just a plain brown wrapper I opened it sorry, this is what I want (then show a picture of the DE) that way maybe they will know better and get that for you also what I would do is tell them you want to see it before you leave to make sure they are selling you the right product.

If you order online the DE good luck paying that shipping fee.
Well good luck to you either way Hope it works out for you in the end.

Well, I called up there and explained what happened - I got a different guy today. It's all the same family running this and another store they own, very nice folks. I think he was a little more "in the know" about their product line than the lady I dealt with yesterday. He said that to his knowledge, the DE they sell is not food grade, and is for garden use only. He's going to check with the owner (his uncle) and see if there is anything they can get for us. The Aragonite is Fertrell brand, so as long as Fertrell is still selling a food-grade DE, he said they can definitely get that for us. I also gave him the name of the Red Lake Earth brand and the ingredients so that he can do some research on what they can get through their suppliers. He's supposed to call me back in the next couple of days to let me know. I'm really hoping to be able to purchase it through them, rather than shipping the stuff in! So hopefully they can get something lined up for us. And who knows, maybe I gave them something to research that they can start including as an offering to all of their customers. It doesn't sound like they were aware of the use with poultry, and the lady yesterday told me they really try to encourage organic/natural methods with everything. Crossing my fingers they come up with something.

Does everyone who uses DE here use it year-round?

I do not use DE in the cold winter months, but use it regularly Spring, Summer and Fall.

I agree with the majority of others on here who suggested "Take it back." If it were me, I'd go in with hat in hand and admit my ignorance and then tell them that's why I was relying on their customer service to do me right. Maybe that will help them take it back even though it's been opened.

You can find Red Lake Earth (RLE) DE most likely at your local Co-Op. It's not the white stuff that is the most expensive, and I don't know if humans can consume it or not, but it's fine for animals and I use it all the time. And I do mean "all the time". I put it in their food on a regular basis, dust their coop and nesting boxes with it, etc. I've had NO problems with mites or lice or worms.

God Bless,

Fifty pound of DE is a massive amount of DE. How much do you need? I bought 6 pounds of it in July of 2009 and still have 5 1/2 pounds left. I just mix a little in their bedding and I'll sprinkle it on the ground in the summer. You might be able to get by on a smaller amount.

Mary

Back
Top Bottom