bourbon red turkeys

rjfarm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 1, 2014
I just bought a breeding pair of bourbon reds and everywhere I look about feed it say 28% protein feed do they really need that much protein

I just bought a breeding pair of bourbon reds and everywhere I look about feed it say 28% protein feed do they really need that much protein

The high percentage protein is what the poults need and yes for proper growth and development it is highly recommended for their first 6 weeks. Adult turkeys can do well on game bird maintenance feed which is typically 16% protein. During egg laying season, I typically feed my turkeys 20% protein layer pellets.

I bought 20% layer pellets for them do I need to buy a the other and where do I find it at my feed stores around here don't have it and do i need to buy some oystrr shells to thanks

I bought 20% layer pellets for them do I need to buy a the other and where do I find it at my feed stores around here don't have it and do i need to buy some oyster shells to thanks

You won't need the turkey or game bird starter until the poults hatch which won't be until 28 days after the hen start sitting or 28 days after you put the eggs in an incubator so you have plenty of time to locate a supplier. Around here the chain stores tend not to carry the turkey or game bird starter and their employees tend to not understand that it is needed. The smaller local feed stores, if they don't carry it, are usually open to ordering what their customers request.

I used to make oyster shell available only during egg laying season but I now leave it available all the time.

How old is your pair?

New-young poults need 28%. The older they get the less protein they need. As teenagers I feed them 22% and then I typically feed my adult turkeys 16%layer pellets, the same as I feed my chickens. In the winter I sometimes add 22% to their diet since they cant forage.

Back
Top Bottom