Bourbon reds getting sick

RedCanoe

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 20, 2008
Hi everyone.

I have some 6 wk old bourbon reds who are getting sick. It starts with a day or two of "alarm" chirps. Then I notice the head starts twisting as if they have a stiff neck for a day or two. The poult then starts to loose coordination. After a week the bird's head is so twisted up and disoriented that he can't eat or drink.

We lost one early on to this, but they were so young and I am new to turkeys that I did not realize something was wrong. When the second one showed signs we tried feeding extra vitamin E, switched him to a medicated feed, and put some Rooster Booster vitamin supplement in the water for all the poults. Now we have it starting on a third.

And thoughts on what I should be doing?

Thanks for the help!

-Ben

Anyone have a guess on this? The only thing i failed to mention is that the turkey are housed right next to the baby chicks. (or were, i just moved them out to their own pen yesterday)

I am thinking about starting a second batch and want to do it right. Could it be something wrong with the genetics? Should i switch suppliers? These turkeys came from a local guy who hatches as a hobby not a big catalog company.

Any thoughts?

Twisted neck? Almost sounds like wry neck.

Have you contacted the person that you bought them from and asked him if he has had this problem before in the past? You may want to contact him to see what he says.

Let me know what he says.

Last year I bought bourbon reds and royal palms at the same time from the same hatchery. They were in the same brooder pen. At about 6 weeks the bourbon reds all died off one by one. I still have the royal palms. I was afraid to buy any this year. They are beautiful birds that I was looking forward to raising :(

Hi. What has been the protein level you've been giving them? Electrolites?

I have a 3.5 month old who's been suffering from wry neck...I'm giving her suppliments of poly-vi-sol (childrens liquid vitamins-by Enfamil) and trying to boost her protein intake along with some additional grains. I think she is not allowed to eat as much as the others and therefore is suffering some. She perks up nicely after the extras are given....but still has a slight problem, especially when she is frightened by anything....

What does the guy's poults look like that he's kept? Is he also having that problem?

Tammy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom