bout how much does one sell a dozen farm fresh eggs?

I live in NE Ohio, and I've moved my prices from $2 to $3 a dozen this spring to keep up with store prices (and due to the fact that I went so long getting almost no eggs from my four full grown hens this winter, with ten babies running around and eating all my feed lol.) I live in a fairly rural area, though, and a lot of people have chickens or know people who do, so you aren't going to get $5+ a dozen around here. I would definitely scout your area and see how much other people are charging and what commercial eggs go for in the stores, and then estimate from there; as long as you're close to the average you should be fine.

I charge less so I don't have to compete with HEB or Wal-Mart.

I look at it like this and I'm not afraid to tell it like this, I'm not Walmart and my eggs are not commercial hen factory farm Walmart eggs...

If someone wants to balk at my price and attempts to tell me they can get eggs at Walmart for this or that, I tell them I don't sell my eggs to or at Walmart but they are more than welcome to head up to Walmart and buy the cheaper eggs if that is what they want... That is usually met with something along the lines, 'But, I want your eggs as they are better." to which I reply, "If they are better why should I sell them for the same price as Walmart's inferior ones?"

To be blunt IMO if someone wants to price match my eggs to commercial hen house eggs, I really don't want them as a customer as they likley will never be happy anyway...

I'm not in the business of selling eggs as income, for those that depend on egg sales as income price matching might be an option, for me it's not worth my trouble or time...

We live in a town of less than 5k people which has been hit hard by the oil industry laying off people and now the Alcoa plant in a nearby town is closing with a few other plants. I don't sell eggs for a living so I like to sell good eggs at a price people can afford. A lot of my customers are old timers living off a pension, also I have a lot of Vietnamese customers. I started out selling eggs for $1.50 a dozen and slowing went up to $2.50.

I don't have a problem with others selling their eggs for whatever they feel is right for them and I've not had any customers complain or compare my egg prices to HEB or Wal-Mart, that was a price point that I chose to use to be fair. My customers already know why they want my eggs or they wouldn't drive out to my house. Most days I have a waiting list for eggs.
wink.png

Just last week a customer that use to have his own chickens gave me 100 foam egg cartons. I also have a neighbor down the road that owns a small breakfast joint that sells breakfast tacos, ever so often he backs into my driveway and leaves me boxes of egg cartons. Some of my customers also bring me cartons when they buy more eggs. I've only bought cartons once and still have most of them. I have some very loyal customers, most want eggs to eat but a few want eggs to hatch.

IT'S BAD TO HEAR THESE ANIMAL ACTIVIST WHINE LIKE ALL THINGS NEED TO BE ORGANIC OR CAGE.LET PEOPLE GET WHAT THEY WANT. I GOT SOME IN PENS AND SOME WILDGAME HENS RUNNING AROUND IN THE YARD. THE ONES IN THE PEN IN CAGES-OH MY TASTE BETTER. CHICKENS DON'T HAVE TO BE HAPPY TO HAVE GOOD TASTY EGGS.
I'M TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT FREE RANGING ORGANIC FEED POO POO CHICKENS. I NOTICED THIS ORGANIC STUFF IS COSTLIER AND GETTING MORE SAMONELIA CONTAMINATIONS AND CANCER SPREADING.
COMMON SENSE TELLS YOU HAVE TO KILL BUGS WITH A GOOD KILLER KNOCKOUT OR YOU HAVE TO EAT THEM AS A SIDEORDER. I THINK THE CITY-SLICKERS FROM UP NORTH STARTED THIS ORGANIC DECEPTION WHEN THE IDEA STARTED. LOOK WHAT THATS CAUSING. NOW USE COMMON SENSE WHEN SPRAYING -YOU DON'T EAT TOMATOES THE DAY YOU DUST OR SPRAY-LIKE ANYTHING WASH IT GOOD, THEN KILL IT AND GRILL IT!!

IT'S BAD TO HEAR THESE ANIMAL ACTIVIST WHINE LIKE ALL THINGS NEED TO BE ORGANIC OR CAGE.LET PEOPLE GET WHAT THEY WANT. I GOT SOME IN PENS AND SOME WILDGAME HENS RUNNING AROUND IN THE YARD. THE ONES IN THE PEN IN CAGES-OH MY TASTE BETTER. CHICKENS DON'T HAVE TO BE HAPPY TO HAVE GOOD TASTY EGGS.
I'M TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT FREE RANGING ORGANIC FEED POO POO CHICKENS. I NOTICED THIS ORGANIC STUFF IS COSTLIER AND GETTING MORE SAMONELIA CONTAMINATIONS AND CANCER SPREADING.
COMMON SENSE TELLS YOU HAVE TO KILL BUGS WITH A GOOD KILLER KNOCKOUT OR YOU HAVE TO EAT THEM AS A SIDEORDER. I THINK THE CITY-SLICKERS FROM UP NORTH STARTED THIS ORGANIC DECEPTION WHEN THE IDEA STARTED. LOOK WHAT THATS CAUSING. NOW USE COMMON SENSE WHEN SPRAYING -YOU DON'T EAT TOMATOES THE DAY YOU DUST OR SPRAY-LIKE ANYTHING WASH IT GOOD, THEN KILL IT AND GRILL IT!!

I'm with you! I treat my hens well, and they lay plenty of eggs for me. The get to free range two or three days a week, and are locked up on the other days because no one is home to watch them, and they poop all over the farm equipment, which my husband doesn't appreciate. When I'm home, I can chase them off or cover the equipment up. I don't feed organic feed, and my customers don't ask me to. I've not gotten any complaints about my eggs, and I frequently have an order each day to take care of any extra eggs I may have.

Chickens are not people, and they don't want or need to be treated like some animal fanatic thinks they should.

You guys think $4 is fair for Eastern MA? There's someone down the street that charges I think $3 but they're over the town line/a bit poorer section and I'm not sure our direct neighbors even go down there. Our friend/uncle's neighbor, different town, sells them for I think $4. And we're set back in the woods and the only house plus the street behind us left when they built the condos but that's just it, we are in a condominium/townhome development and another group just built a new neighborhood right next to ours so I could theoretically get quite a bit for them. Even supposedly been offered $5 from one neighbor. The family and few friends we've given them too have absolutely loved them. But I don't want to rip people off haha although also not sure how many we'll even have to sell if i start eating them like i should be haha but ya

Just for context, when I buy organic pasture raised eggs from a farm in CA, (because my girls are slacking off) I pay $11 a dozen. And they're not even as good as my girls' eggs. But still better than the grocery store.

I sell my eggs for $2.50 for large. I tried going up to $3 because of my feed bill but lost all but 2 of my customers. l use to have a waiting list for eggs. We live in a small town with a small grocery store, 30 miles away there's a HEB and super Wal-Mart. We keep an eye on their prices for cage free eggs which range from $4-$5. I could never sell my eggs for $5 or $11. I didn't even go up when the big egg scare happened a few months ago. Last week regular eggs were under $2 a dozen. In this economy people won't pay more where we live.

We have a dairy that sells raw milk about 20 miles from us and they sell a gallon for $7, on sale for $5.99. I love their milk but when my local store sells milk 2 for $4 a gallon, I can't pass that up. It's not as good as the raw milk but it's still milk.

Back
Top Bottom