Bow-coo in pigeons

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Rouen, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Rouen

Rouen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Adams
    I recently acquired a feral pigeon. It has warmed up to humans in the short time I've had it. I sexed it using the flipping method(see video url) and determined it was a positive female. She has started doing what I can only identify as a bow-coo however I can't find anything saying females exhibit this behaviour. She'll sit on the perch and bow her head and coo, no strutting like you'd see with a male and her crop is not puffed at all. Does this meani Klookie is actually male or is it just a mutual pair forming ritual?

2. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    when i had pigeons only my males bowed and cooed. never heard from the females much unless mateing time. i have never heard of sexing them that way before. i sexed mine by feeling the pelvic bones, an 80 year old bird breeder taught me it years ago and it has never been wrong for me long as they r mature enough to sex and usually works on any breed of bird. u hold them over the back and wings with a finger on each side of head and flip them over in one hand. with other hand u check the pelvic bone. if they were close together and u couldn't lay a finger between the bones it was a male and a female had a space ur finger would lay between to allow room for eggs to drop. see if that method helps ya any and i'd assume u have a male from what u r describeing.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Every fall I seperate my hens from the c*cks. When I put the birds back together in the spring hens that have a strong pair bond will rush up to their mates exhibiting the "bow coo" and tail dragging. In instances where two hens are mated together they will both exhibit male and female behaviors. "She" may be a male courting you as her mate or "he" may be a male courting you.[​IMG]

4. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    I don't like that method of sexing, but yes, both sexes will coo, grunt, and do nest calls.

If she sounds like this, then she's calling you to the nest. You're her mate now.

Or like this?

Both can do this as well. Hens don't really puff up, drag their tails, or chase others like males do. They do this occasionally to let you know they are boss. But it's always different with single pet birds. Hens act very cocky sometimes. As you can see in that video, she's acting tough to the guy, but very sweet and longing to the woman (her mate).

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  5. Rouen

Rouen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Adams
    She makes a whooping sort of coo like in this video when we put her in her cage, and walk away.

She'll also bow her head sorta like the bird in that video did, but not as fast, and usually when her wings twitch she's mad or nervous, not happy.
    From what I've been told the sexing method in the other video is 100%, hens submit to being flipped and dont roll, cocks wont submit and right themselves almost immediately.

6. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Didn't work for all of mine. I'm in no hurry to sex my birds though [​IMG]
    Yeah some bow their head a lot, some don't, and the wing twitching is also optional.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Absoutely does not work on mine. My family of Birmingham rollers has been selected towards less c*cky males so as to cut down on problems in the kit box. They are just more laid back than my homers.

8. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    That sexing meathod didn't work for me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by