box badly damaged in shipping eggs ebay

It absolutely is not the seller's fault that the Post Office damaged the box. Buying shipped eggs is always a risk. Frankly, I think it was petty of you to open a dispute with this seller just because they didn't apologize for the post office's poor handling of the eggs. If you win, the seller will lose the income from the eggs and the shipping cost. That's just wrong, in my opinion. We sell things on ebay and we had one buyer who claimed they didn't get their package. We called the post office, checked the tracking number and found out that the package was tracked right to that person's mailbox. Didn't matter. We lost the dispute, so not only were we out what we paid for the item, we were also out the shipping and the income. People like that give ebay a bad name. Maybe next time you want to try hatching eggs, you should look for them locally and drive to pick them up. Just realize that most of the time, you don't get a 100% hatch, so please don't go after the poor person you bought them from if some don't hatch.
The package I ordered from an ebay seller, had I disputed it, would have shown as tracking right to my mailbox as well, but it never arrived physically, only according to tracking. BUT I know that is the fault of the post office and not the seller, therefore I took the loss. I obviously couldn't leave feedback for the seller on the item, as I never recieved it, but it wasn't their fault my mail carrier can't deliver right. That was awful that they would blame you when it showed that it arrived at the post office.

The package I ordered from an ebay seller, had I disputed it, would have shown as tracking right to my mailbox as well, but it never arrived physically, only according to tracking. BUT I know that is the fault of the post office and not the seller, therefore I took the loss. I obviously couldn't leave feedback for the seller on the item, as I never recieved it, but it wasn't their fault my mail carrier can't deliver right. That was awful that they would blame you when it showed that it arrived at the post office.
It's just another incident of ebay not being as seller-friendly as they used to be. Things have changed a lot since we first started selling over 10 years ago... Anyway, thanks for sharing that. Maybe the guy wasn't trying to cheat.

i well post as soon as i can see something.i appreciate everyone who took the time to comment even if i didn't like all opinions i well look hard at all comments.thank you byc members.

Unless the seller put it in a bent box - the seller had NOTHING to do with this.

IF the seller put it in a bent box - then that would not have affected the eggs - so no harm, no foul ....

You are really not grasping the reality of this situation and if you take on the blame for things YOU ship out - then you are hurting yourself for someone/something else's actions. Grab some tea and rethink the issue of cause and effect when placing something in the care of middleman (post office) and when and where certain responsibilities start and stop.

After reading this - I would not sell anything to you - afraid that you could not be logical and reasonable when discussing an issue .... that there could never be a fair and just compromise if anything went wrong. Like the other poster - this may seem to come off mean - but I do NOT mean it in that way - just that this is touching some fundamental thinking/logic issues and it is hard to teach that to you over words only.

yes a little harsh. think about this.many times i shipped out items over the years item did not arrive at destination.should the customer blame the post office?and not get what they paid for?it don't work that way seller must resend even though it is not there fault end result is customer must get what they paid for.i have sent out second package many times it is a tax write off and part of doing business if you don't understand this i can not make you.as we are all individuals and have different beliefs in what is right and wrong.and i would not want to buy from you with the way you see things also.i hope this is not to harsh but think about it from this angle.we can go back and forth with this but no point we don't agree.as for weather or not the seller is at fault no it is not there fault but is there responsibility to make the sale right.

yes a little harsh. think about this.many times i shipped out items over the years item did not arrive at destination.should the customer blame the post office?and not get what they paid for?it don't work that way seller must resend even though it is not there fault end result is customer must get what they paid for.i have sent out second package many times it is a tax write off and part of doing business if you don't understand this i can not make you.as we are all individuals and have different beliefs in what is right and wrong.and i would not want to buy from you with the way you see things also.i hope this is not to harsh but think about it from this angle.we can go back and forth with this but no point we don't agree.as for weather or not the seller is at fault no it is not there fault but is there responsibility to make the sale right.
But that's what insurance is for. If I don't purchase the insurance on my package, then yes, I expect to be out the money if the package doesn't arrive, or I expect to fight with the post office for the price. If a person's tracking shows that the seller sent it and that an x number of postal centers recieved it, then the fight should be with them, not with the seller. It is the buyers resposibility to purchase the insurance if they want to make sure they will not be out the money in case of loss/damage.

If it's priority mail then they should be automatically insured for $50. Only half of what you paid, but at least it's something. You have to file a claim with the post office which you can do from their website. Sometimes sellers will reship eggs for the price of shipping in cases like this, but they aren't able to control how the post office handles the eggs, unfortunately.
If the seller sold you the eggs on ebay, then ebay's policies determine what your options are.

I believe ebay requires that the product arrive intact - if it didn't get to your house in usable condition, it's not your problem. It's the seller's problem that they didn't insure correctly. Check your Paypal and Ebay guarantees and make sure.

If the eggs were scrambled, but intact, I think the seller would be able to say "not my issue - I can't control what happens - shipping hatching eggs, etc" - but stating that doesn't get them out of eBay's basic policies.

I've been a business owner for more than 30 years, and a commercial farmer for nearly 20 years, and have been buying and selling rare classic car parts for about 25 years. If I were to ship out a '73 Corvette carburetor, for instance, and the buyer did not choose to pay for shipping insurance for the value of the item, and it was damaged or lost in transit (shipped directly from carrier with tracking number provided) then that is the BUYER'S responsibility. I recommend purchasing insurance, or for rare enough items I will just add the insurance to the package and pass the cost through. But if the package does not make it or the item is damaged, I am not going to go buy a replacement item to ship to the buyer. That is simply nonsense. There is shipping insurance available for buyers and sellers to mitigate risks.

While shipping out another dozen eggs is not even close to in the same scope as shipping out a $400 carburetor, the responsibility remains the same. It is the seller's responsibility to advertise the item accurately, to package it securely, double boxing if necessary, to ship it as promised and to provide tracking if applicable. It's the buyer's responsibility to make arrangements to be there to accept the package if necessary, to inspect it on receipt, to report damages if insured and to let the seller know if the item was damaged due to insufficient packaging.

If you want to mitigate risks even further, purchase your eggs locally and drive to pick them up. You will then see exactly where the seller's responsibility for the transaction stops. If you slam on the brakes on the way home and end up with scrambled eggs, it is in no way the responsibility of the seller.

WalnutHill - I agree with everything you say in the context of a normal business transaction.

Buying and Selling via eBay is not a normal business transaction - when you use eBay as a middleman, you are under contractual obligation to follow the parameters they set for every deal.

Ebay's policies make it very clear that the seller is responsible for getting the item to the buyer in good shape - and that insurance is for the protection of the seller, not the buyer. If you don't want to eat the cost of replacing the item as a seller, you should be mandating insurance.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom