box badly damaged in shipping eggs ebay

AKM - you are right about getting your hopes up and it is an emotional purchase for many (me too - and they are expected to be live animals in 21 days) - and I had a bad experience of prepaying and not getting anything shipped - I pushed only for the eggs to get to me - and got 2 to hatch out. out of 14 ... and that was acceptable - that is all I could expect ...

I don't think it is that I don't understand where you are coming from - I do - but just because you have an emotion attached and because you think what? the seller should have packed better? shipped on a different day ??? I do understand you are disappointed. I do understand you will feel you wasted money if you don't get chicks. I do understand you wanted a kinder response. I get all of that ....

Your placement of blame is what is disturbing for any us selling and mailing anything - and not everyone is within driving distance - so this does hurt us in a global type way. Not only eggs, but anything purchased ....not every bad emotion can be balanced by the kindness freely given by other ... and if kindness is freely given by others, it is a disservice to expect it from others who may not be able to afford it at the present time, but could offer it later - if not forced to.

I hope you have a great hatch ! If you do - do share the pics and the breed you have .... after all, we are all here due to a chicken interest.

The postal workers are the ones that dented the box, NOT the seller. The seller has no control over the careless postal workers, therefore it is not the seller's fault the box was dented, especially since the box is clearly labeled "FRAGILE". As you stated, the eggs were NOT damaged, therefore the actual goods are not damaged. You can't ask for a refund or replacement when what you purchased is still in good condition. If the eggs were not damaged, and the package was obviously handled poorly (as you can tell by the dent), that means the seller did a GREAT job at packaging the eggs.

Even IF the eggs do not hatch, it is still not the seller's fault. Eggs are unpredictable, and even if you do everything perfectly right, they still may not hatch. Even eggs that haven't been shipped may not hatch. And if the rooster isn't doing a very good job, some may not even be fertile, which is also not the seller's fault.

I am not sure if i made it clear i don't blame the seller for this she did a wonderful job packaging fantastic actually.i just felt it was her responsibility to work with me to resolve this not just pass the blame off.if i told my customers if there package arrived damaged or lost not my fault go talk to the post office i would not be in business very long.it seems hatching eggs has its own set of rules i know see most of you feel this way.as a seller for a long time of merchandise its not easy for me to change the rules in one bad transaction i well try to open my mind..

WalnutHill - I agree with everything you say in the context of a normal business transaction.

Buying and Selling via eBay is not a normal business transaction - when you use eBay as a middleman, you are under contractual obligation to follow the parameters they set for every deal.

Ebay's policies make it very clear that the seller is responsible for getting the item to the buyer in good shape - and that insurance is for the protection of the seller, not the buyer. If you don't want to eat the cost of replacing the item as a seller, you should be mandating insurance.
Despite the fact that the eggs arrived intact, (yay to the seller for packaging so well that abuse by the post office did NOT break them). Insurance is for both the buyer/seller. It also comes down to a moral issue. Just because there are "loopholes" in a system does that make it right for us to use them? Is it right to hold a person accountable for something that was out of their control ? That they had no part in? How you can justify holding a seller responsible when they did everything they should have and have a clear conscience is beyond me.

AKM - good attitude ... and you reached out here for input ... you have now some deeper insight into the issue at hand (and no - I thought you blamed the seller for the dent in the box until just now - which is why communication is such a tricky beast without being able to see faces).

I am not sure if i made it clear i don't blame the seller for this she did a wonderful job packaging fantastic actually.i just felt it was her responsibility to work with me to resolve this not just pass the blame off.if i told my customers if there package arrived damaged or lost not my fault go talk to the post office i would not be in business very long.it seems hatching eggs has its own set of rules i know see most of you feel this way.as a seller for a long time of merchandise its not easy for me to change the rules in one bad transaction i well try to open my mind..

I'm ready to let this topic rest, but I am just not sure why you consider this a "bad transaction"?

You placed the order and made payment.
The eggs were carefully packaged and shipped.
They arrived at your destination unbroken.

Even if the box had no dent, I am sure that they would have experienced rough handling anyhow. Based on the air cells in the eggs I just received from Montana (to Michigan), they were tossed and shaken and rolled. The postal carrier even brought them to the door with the box under his arm, edge up.

We all know that a horizontally packed box doesn't stay in that orientation during processing, and that an incredible array of human and mechanized laborers handle every package.

I expect a 30% loss in hatchability due to shipping, so dropping from 80% to 50%. Candle the eggs at day 7-10, whenever you can see through the shells (darker eggs later). If you are over 50% development at day 10, your eggs are good. The variables of incubation account for the rest.

Setting only six eggs would be so hard. You would be personally pulling for each and every one of them to make it. When incubating more eggs, I am able to be a little more objective.

Last edited:
I don't know where I said you were not an adult lol but thanks for the personal message accusing me of doing so. Please show me where I said you were not an adult. It seems you like to file accusations when they are not valid. Please quote me saying what you accused me of saying. I was simply stating my opinion. The seller is not responsible and you were certainly blaming the seller. Read your first few posts! Don't back peddle now...

To answer wallnuthill.I might not have chose the right words( bad transaction) just not the way we want our box to arrive i am sure everyone can agree on this.

Looks to me like the box got stuck in the conveyor ride, and/or missed a turn ...

I use to be a sub-contractor for FedEx ground home delivery ... Sometimes the manager would "load" a box on my truck, but it was still in the terminal ... Other times, I would be embarrassed to have to deliver a mangled package ...

Certainly the seller could have responded differently, but didn't ... Only time will tell if those eggs are gonna hatch ... If they do ... That tells us three things ... The seller has good quality tough chickens/eggs ... The seller did a good job packing them, to withstand that kinda shock ... And that you did everything right with the incubator! :)

Back
Top Bottom