Boy problems

crystalbanks84

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 25, 2014
Hi, I have 15 chickens, 2 of which turned out to be roos. I have heard there should only be 1 roo per 10 hens. Should I get rid of one? If I do get rid of the more dominant, rough rooster will the other one become dominant and rough? This is my first flock and they're only 5 months old so this is all new to me. Not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Well it depends on what breeds you have. Some breeds are more easy going and others are more high strung. If they were raised together the roosters are more likely to get along. So give us a bit more information. Also what do you mean exactly by dominant rough behavior? Are your birds aggressive towards people or are any birds being picked on?

They have been raised together since day one so the Roos get along ok. One is a silver crested polish and the other a cochin. The polish has shown aggression at my kids once and has stomped his feet at me a few times. My husband and I have been picking him up often and tapping him on the head until he shows submission and this helps a lot. He is rough with the hens too. They're young and still trying to figure out the submission/ mating thing, but he's so rough with them! No balding hens yet. But one more sign of aggression towards the kids and he's outta here!
My main thing is that I've heard of people getting rid of all but one rooster and that rooster became very territorial and aggressive towards people. So, I've heard so many stories I'm not sure what to do with mine

Your Polish is already being a bad boy; he WILL NOT improve! Attacking children? No way! If he gets better with you, he'll still hurt your children, and those pullets. It's a clear choice at this point; that doesn't mean that the Cochin cockrel will be fine, but as a group Cochins tend to be good with people and other (female) chickens. And he's not trying to be bad, either. Mary

Thanks for the advice! Looks like we may have chicken for dinner
1f609.png

They have been raised together since day one so the Roos get along ok. One is a silver crested polish and the other a cochin. The polish has shown aggression at my kids once and has stomped his feet at me a few times. My husband and I have been picking him up often and tapping him on the head until he shows submission and this helps a lot. He is rough with the hens too. They're young and still trying to figure out the submission/ mating thing, but he's so rough with them! No balding hens yet. But one more sign of aggression towards the kids and he's outta here!
My main thing is that I've heard of people getting rid of all but one rooster and that rooster became very territorial and aggressive towards people. So, I've heard so many stories I'm not sure what to do with mine
I had just the opposite experience...got rid of 2 and the 3rd calmed down. He was the oldest and dominant but fine with me, when a younger cockerel started crowing, he got very rough with the pullets, but once I removed his competition, he immediately calmed down. He's still a clumsy teenage lothario, but not overly aggressive with the pullets....shows some concern when I handle the pullets but not aggression so far. He's only 6 months old, so that could change.

Get rid of any cockerel that challenges kids.

Back
Top Bottom