Boycotting the Coop?

desertgirl

Roo Magnet
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Albuquerque,NM
My 3 month old silkies have gone in the coop when it gets dark, no problem. But now that we have introduced our newest chicks (3 week old barred rocks), no one is going in the coop to sleep. All get along fine, food and water is inside the coop only.

What gives? Other than the predator issue (pretty safe where they are), is there any reason they should go in at night?
sad.png

Last edited:
They are all still sleeping in the yard. Should I leave them be, or scoop them up and put them inside? Shouldn't they figure it out on their own???

wow, I would bet they're too young too know whats going on. I still have my 3 week old barred rocks in the brooder. Do they get cold at night? I kicked my 5 week old RIR's out of the brooder & into the coop last week. I still keep a heat lamp in there for them. I always round ours up and put them up, we don't have their run finished yet, so they get the whole backyard for now. I would put them in the coop at night, thats just me though.
frow.gif

They don't seem to. Here in New Mexico it only gets down into the high 50s low 60s at night. They've been without a heat lamp for about a week, and seem no worse for wear.
hu.gif

Is it cooler outside? I would scoop them up and put them in.
What ever they get use to is what they will want to do. Last year I raised a few chicks and ducklings togather left them out in a dog house/pen-duckies made a real mess- they started roosting on the top of the fence it took me forever to train them to lay/roost in the coop my buff orp. still hates me cuz I had to move her so many times- she was determindedto stay out!!

That's what I was afraid of-that they'll either get used to sleeping outside or won't figure out going inside without me doing it for them. I was hoping the silkies would teeach the little ones, but it seems to be working the other way around.
he.gif

It is a warm night-they should be fine-but I'm afraid they will develope bad habits that will be hard to break (like your story..).

Ugh!I wish they would cooperate!
wink.png

here in Southern Indiana, it's been gettig down into the 50's at night, I still keep the heat lamp in there in the corner for them just in case. I can't get mine intrested in roostin' I open the doors in the morning, and there they are, laying in the straw!
wee.gif

There is the predator issue. The other reason I'd want them in at night is that, once it gets dark, they don't move. If you have a bad storm come through, they will stay out in it.

And if you put a droppings board or collection bin under your roost, think of how much you can help your compost heap.

Back
Top Bottom