boys/girls ect

StrayMagnet

Songster
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
W. Georgia
Here are some pics of the baby's that I still have.. 4 died yesterday and I"m thinking they were boys. as by discriptions someone gave me pointed to it. unfortunaly my favorite one is one that died
sad.png
he/she had ALOT of white in it! and it was the smallest. so sad to have them 5 months to suddenly loose 4
sad.png
. I think its beacuse the weather has gotten cold and wet. and I can not aford rite now to build a enclosed coop. so for now I just set some pallets up in there with thick tarp covering it to have a dry wind proof area for them. Pray it works! hopefuly now that nxt month is my last car payment I can in December buy the wood with the money I'd put into the car and get some sorta house made. Glad im in ga and our winters are not that bad. all else fails hubby said to go buy some hay bails and spread it in there under the pallets I used to make a wind proof area.

onto the babys

Im not sure if these are all diffrent chicks or several pics of a few chicks. with them now free run.. Its hard to snap pics before they all run n jumple up on me mixin me up LOL

PICTURE 1

99419_100_1667.jpg

PICTURE 2
99419_100_1669.jpg

PICTURE 3
99419_100_1668.jpg

PICTURE 4
99419_100_1674.jpg

PICTURE 5
99419_100_1676.jpg

well some have lil nubs on their beaks.. some dont. they all look the same to me LOL!. hard for me to pick out certian ones. Only 1 i can pick out each time beacuse it's the fattest.. I call that one butterball. Next month I'm going to get zip tie of diffy colors and band each. then I can ID them better. I just wish I didnt loose the 4 I lost
sad.png
. esp my tiny one that had alot of white in it!. almost looked Calico color!

It be nice if all 7 that are alive are girls.. or at least 6 girls n 1 boy.. I'm going to start to save for a bator, and a brooder. and get me some hatching eggs. as well as work on buiding a house. I may make it at the back of the property instead. or hubby said MABEY to a already made one
smile.png

In picture #3, your chicken looks sick. Is there any way you can separate it from the others and give it some TLC? A cardboard box with holes will work if you don't have anything else. Maybe give it some vitamins in the water. I'm saying this to help you, but you need to see if you can find out why your chickens are dying. That one looks very ill and one of the others looks a bit off as well. I wish I could tell you what to do, but not being there, it's hard to tell what the problem could be.

Quote:
i agree, it looks pretty off. If it get's really cold you could bring em inside because if you think the cold killed 'em I wouldn't risk having them out another night. as far as gender they all look fairly girly.

I don't have anywhere inside to put any of them. I have 2 cats and a dog. inside. I could find a way to block off half the inside of the "coop" so he/she has its own seperate area.
Im thinking he/she looks like that beacuse their under a porch and its been raining and its gotten muddy under there. only area not muddy is the "lean to" area I made for them to get out of the wetness. I'm hoping beacuse they are now out free ranging that they are getting other nutrients from the grass. that they wer not getting before due to they ate all the greens that was under the porch. the one that you all said looks off is very lively! very vocal lol. and will run road runner speed from me if i try to pick it up. . keep in mind mom layed her eggs under my porch, and when it rains it gets wet under there and muddy. I tryed to help the best I can by making the lean to area so if it rains it keeps it dry under the "lean to"

we had no rain for the longest time and it stayed dry under there for months! over the past few weeks we have gotten more rain that we have had in the 4 months we have had them here. and they looked nothing like that before it got muddy under there... its only been since we got all this back to back rain that they gotten "rough" looking beacuse the underside of the porch has not had time to compleatly dry from the rain. that is why I decided to open it up to let them free range. in hopes the hours they are out will give it time to dry back out,

as for the gender.. some of the baby's have lil Red nubs on their beeks.. and some do not. i'm hoping tomarrow when hubby gets paid I can get some Zip ties. in diffy colors and nab ech of them n color code them so I can get better pics of each one. so we know for sure who is a boy. and who is a girl.

Im almost certian the one I call "butterbal" is a girl. her color pattern is similar to mom's and my one who you say looks rough. I'm thinking may be male. I'm not sure. lol. I do't know squat bout chickens. I just know This mommy choose to lay her nst here. and we are just feeding her and trying to make her comfortable. as she abviously wants to stay.

she fallows me around. and hubby said if she didnt want to be here.. when we let her out to free range.. she woulda took her broode and not returned. but she's stayed rite around the house.
and when I go out to try to coral them in. she fallows me with baby's in tow back in the pen.

any suggestions on other ways to make makeshift shelters untile I can get the funds to build the house will be helpful!.

I'm really thinking that it looks like your babies might have coccidia by the way they are hunched and poofed up. Can you get some Corid and treat them all? You can find it at most feed stores and at Tractor Supply.

They do all look like little pullets
smile.png
Good luck with them
smile.png

what is coccidia? I Have to go to hubby's work office tomarrow with him. and I'll ask him to stop on our way to the feed store. we drive past at least 3 or 4 of them.

I am going to also stop at walmart n get a bale of hay to scatter under the porch to hope it helps soak up the moisture. as it just started to Downpour again!. and I'll rake it out every other day and hope it gets it dry.

this is one rason why I decided to free range them from morn till dusk. so they can run around and only have to go under the porch at night.

I did manage to get them all coralled back under the porch before this storm hit.

I would agree with the ill looking chicken (pic # 3).
If you look at her compared to how chickens normally look, she is hunched up, her feathers are sort of poofed out, and her comb and the skin around her beak look very pale. A lot of times, sick chickens look like this but otherwise act normal (eat and drink). But if you don't treat her and the rest of your flock, it can get out of control very quickly and the results can be deadly.
Did your other chickens just die all of a sudden? Or were they taken by a predator? I am only asking because if they died and you don't know why, you may want to give them some antibiotics. Try tetracycline, it can be found at Tractor Supply and most farm/ranch stores carry it. You simply follow the directions. It's a powder that you add to their water for a week or two. It's simple and helps clear up most sicknesses in birds.
I doubt they died from being cold. Once their feathers grow in, they can usually keep themselves warm. If your shelter for them can at least keep the wind away from them, they should be fine. But if you feel they may be cold, it wouldn't hurt to hook up some sort of heat lamp for them in their shelter. That way they have the option of using it if they feel the need to.

Back
Top Bottom