Boys or Girls? 5 Weeks

Avery1623

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 16, 2014
This is my first time posting so hopefully the pictures show up! I have wanted chickens for years but just recently got my first chicks. I got them from my boyfriends parents farm. They are not purebred, she has a whole bunch of different bantam breeds. They are about 5 weeks old, so early still, but wondering if anyone has any guesses as to gender? There are three. One is brown, one is white with black and one is a light silver color.

Thanks for any opinions!

If you could get comb pics of the silver one, that would help identify that one. I think the brown is a pullet. The white one looks kinda like my cockerel did at 5 weeks, but I have cochins so someone else may weigh in with a different opinion.

ETA: didn't realize you were posting more pics. Silver looks like a pullet based on comb to me. Is the white one's comb as pink as it looks in the first and third pic, or like the 5th pic where you can see all their combs? It looks pretty light there.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

What cute chicks!

It's really early to be saying for sure, but I'm getting a roo-vibe from the little guy facing the camera in the first pic. Nothing from the other two, though. Maybe post again in 3-4 weeks, we'll have a better idea then.

The white ones comb is definitely redder and "mushier" looking than the other two. The combs on the brown and silver ones look pretty much identical so I am guessing they are the same gender but I am new to this! I suspected from the first couple days the white one might be a roo as it was louder and bossier and would act protective over the other two even at just a couple weeks old.

Well, my guess is definitely 2 pullets and a roo (the white one) but it is really early to tell. Even in just a week, you'll either see more red/pink come up in the white one if it is a roo, and nothing happening to the combs of the other two. With the mixed breeding, it could be a little different though, some breeds mature differently.

Post more pics in a couple weeks, and we can test the guesses.

Thank you! I know It's so anxiety inducing to raise these little fuzzy babies and bonding with them to think I might have to get rid of you!! I hope you are right that two are girls or I will really be heart broken! I will post pics in a couple weeks and see what they look like then. They grow so fast! I went in there this morning and I swear they are twice as big as when I went to bed lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom