Gender Guess- 3 week light sussex has me stumped

Those are thick ass legs, but maybe she doin squats while you're not around 😅

IMG_3378.jpeg It’s the massive chest and thick neck! I feel like that comb is eager to turn red. This chick is doing my head in.. everything screams boy to me but then he’s developing quite slow 😩 he definitely has thick legs though.. and thick toes.

Attachments

• IMG_3372.jpeg
    IMG_3372.jpeg
    381.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3367.jpeg
    IMG_3367.jpeg
    431.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3362.jpeg
    IMG_3362.jpeg
    498.4 KB · Views: 8
View attachment 3843204It’s the massive chest and thick neck! I feel like that comb is eager to turn red. This chick is doing my head in.. everything screams boy to me but then he’s developing quite slow 😩 he definitely has thick legs though.. and thick toes.
I wonder if the breeder has any kind of meat birds, and one of them got mixed in?

There are a few breeds where even the females have big breasts and thick legs. For example, purebred Cornish chickens:
https://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Cornish/BRKCornish.html

Based on the color of the chick, I do not expect actual Cornish to be in the mix, but they are the first example I could find of hens with big breasts and thick legs.

The common Cornish Cross meat chickens also have big breasts and thick legs, and so do many of the "ranger" type meat chickens.

I wonder if the breeder has any kind of meat birds, and one of them got mixed in?

There are a few breeds where even the females have big breasts and thick legs. For example, purebred Cornish chickens:
https://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Cornish/BRKCornish.html

Based on the color of the chick, I do not expect actual Cornish to be in the mix, but they are the first example I could find of hens with big breasts and thick legs.

The common Cornish Cross meat chickens also have big breasts and thick legs, and so do many of the "ranger" type meat chickens.
She doesn’t breed meat birds! She has Perkins, light sussex, barnevelders, Plymouth rocks, australorp, Vorwerk, silkie, Polish. It’s such a mystery to me. It’s 9 weeks old now & I have no further clarity on its breed or sex!

IMG_3583.jpeg
9 weeks old!
Legs are more yellow.
Still not as confident as I would have liked on its sex & breed. Agonising

Attachments

• IMG_3581.jpeg
    IMG_3581.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 6
She doesn’t breed meat birds! She has Perkins, light sussex, barnevelders, Plymouth rocks, australorp, Vorwerk, silkie, Polish. It’s such a mystery to me. It’s 9 weeks old now & I have no further clarity on its breed or sex!
Definitely a puzzle!

Among the breeds you mentioned, some will definitely have thicker legs and larger breasts than others (like Plymouth Rocks vs. Polish), but I don't know exactly which ones are likely to be mixed for the mystery chick.

A little update- almost 11 weeks. I think I’ve changed my mind & now I think this must be a pullet. She looks like she’s grown into her body more.. & thick legs don’t look so out of place.
IMG_3724.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3720.jpeg
    IMG_3720.jpeg
    647.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3721.jpeg
    IMG_3721.jpeg
    652.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3718.jpeg
    IMG_3718.jpeg
    468.9 KB · Views: 4
I sure hope its a pullet.
But Im not 100% convinced she is because of the bantam Sussex chicks I had last year.

The male chick was clear very early because the breeder knew the colouring. But he developed very slow in relation to the male Vorwerk and Dutch I had too.

Almost 12 weeks old speckled Sussex pullet and cockerel
IMG_3144.jpeg

I sure hope its a pullet.
But Im not 100% convinced she is because of the bantam Sussex chicks I had last year.

The male chick was clear very early because the breeder knew the colouring. But he developed very slow in relation to the male Vorwerk and Dutch I had too.

Almost 12 weeks old speckled Sussex pullet and cockerel
View attachment 3857894
It’s such a mystery! I have read that sussex chickens are slow to develop. Your cockerel above looks to have a larger comb than I imagine mine would develop over the next week? 🤞🏽

Back
Top Bottom