Boys or girls? 8 week old Muscovy ducklings

What makes you think that? I'm just trying to wrap my head around all of these different methods to tell them apart. Thanks everyone!:)
The white ones all look similar, so they are probably the same sex. They have more delicate looking heads, and their tails aren't very long. The smaller one has a bigger shovel looking bill, so I'm guessing male on that one, but it's a bit too early to be definite.

I have another question, once the Muscovy ducks (I don't know the short name that you would use is!) fully mature and spring comes, will all three females start going broody? At the same time, or at different times? I have read on some sites that Muscovy duck mothers share the burden with each other, and help raise the ducklings. Other sites almost say the exact opposite. What do you find your experience to be? I'm going to be prepared for quite a few ducklings, although if all of the females go broody, I'll be overrun with them!

It all depends on the duck. I’ve had mine all go broody pretty close together which worked out great for me since I had Runner, Buff eggs sent and 3 of my Muscovy sat on them. It seems sometimes broodiness is contagious. Lol!

Mine all go broody when they are ready. Sometimes there's a few broody at the same time. If there are multiple moms here they often will leave ducklings all together after 3-4 weeks in the shed and go off to forage. Other times they tote them everywhere for months. So every mom is different.

Also voice females will make a trilling noise drakes will huff. This is when they find their voices.
Any idea when the trilling noise begins?? I have a 6 week old Muscovy and he/she peeps but trills when foraging etc. Do all ducklings do this? Or just the females? (This is my first Muscovy. And I only have one as the others were given away. My Muscovy duckling lives with my Runner ducklings :) )

Any way you can do a video so we can hear. I can't remember when mine started trilling since mine are 10-11 yrs old. But if you can get up a video you'll need to put it on youtube or another type of platform then copy and paste here. One thing I will say is I have never heard my muscovy drake trill.

Any way you can do a video so we can hear. I can't remember when mine started trilling since mine are 10-11 yrs old. But if you can get up a video you'll need to put it on youtube or another type of platform then copy and paste here. One thing I will say is I have never heard my muscovy drake trill.
hmm I’ve never posted on you tube before .. ha. Lame i know. But I don’t want to create an account there. ….. it’s a beautiful soft trill. He/she’s made it since she was quite young …. I wish I had kept one of its siblings to compare size, sound etc! Ha. Maybe I will have to just wait …..

Can you post pictures sometimes just the looks can tell male or female.
Yes!! I called him/her Monkey. 1st photo : small black one on right. Middle: black one - obviously :) 3rd photo: as a new duckling.

Attachments

• B6D846FF-76FF-4985-979F-F3AA8D004B6E.jpeg
    B6D846FF-76FF-4985-979F-F3AA8D004B6E.jpeg
    1,018.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 9563A58E-ABC2-4EC3-A35D-5E9C30D207E7.jpeg
    9563A58E-ABC2-4EC3-A35D-5E9C30D207E7.jpeg
    433.7 KB · Views: 8
  • A243077E-36EB-428A-BC91-D7DED9A4331F.jpeg
    A243077E-36EB-428A-BC91-D7DED9A4331F.jpeg
    455.6 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom