boys or girls and what am I?

jeannieo

Songster
11 Years
Oct 25, 2008
Collinsville, CT
a friend gave me 12 chicks several weeks ago, I've already placed two of the ones I knew were boys but these three, I'm not so sure. also, my Maxine is gorgeous and HUGE
D.gif
and I was told Americauna (I know, probably EE) but she has yellow feet and all the other EE's have grey feet! Could she be an EE and BO cross?
17629_100_0467.jpg

Maxine, what am I???
idunno.gif

17629_100_0471.jpg

I had posted about this one before and I really hope she's a girl cuz she's sooo pretty!
17629_100_0464.jpg

boy or girl?
17629_100_0465.jpg

so pretty! hope she's a she!
fl.gif
(I think in my heart of hearts she's a he)

The first pic looks Rooish to me. The others look like pullets. Wait to see if you get an egg or crow.

I think they all look like roos. But as cmom said, best to wait for a crow or egg to be 100% sure.
wink.png

First one is a EE cockerel, second i can't tell what it is, but the color is a cockerel color and has the appearance too it looks like - Search "Blue brassybacks".

Now the orpingtons i can't really tell but kinda leaning towards cockerel as well- Keep as long as you can anyway just in case
cool.png

The whitish one in the first pic looks a lot like my EE roo who was supposed to be a pullet.

10146_img_1661.jpg

How old are these chicks? I have some 9 wk old chicks (ordered as pullets) and one of the buff O's has a much larger comb and wattles than all of the others (like the buff in your last pic).

they are about 15 weeks old and the EE in the first pic, I am assuming is a girl because I had another that looked just like her with a much bigger comb. He went to a lovely farm. goldnchocolate, what do you think of those buffs? do you think they are roos or pullets?

Last edited:
I am really new, so can't say myself. I read this type of thread so I can learn. But to me, the first one REALLY looks like a girl more than the others, but it seemed to be most consistently ID'd as a roo?

Can someone please explain a little more? The comb is small, minimal or no wattles & the tail feathers go down more. Seems very hennish to me. Not arguing, just tyring to learn
smile.png
Thanks!

They are all beautiful BTW
big_smile.png

Stacyk I wondered that as well as the comb and wattles are so small. But then I noticed the pointy saddle feathers. Comb development is very tricky, but pointed saddle feathers rarely lie...

Thanks for the info ashante! Mine are 17 weeks today, so I'm pretty sure I am safe that mine are all really pullets!
smile.png
Looking forward to eggs very soon, I hope!

Back
Top Bottom