Rooster Help - Aggressive or Just Learning

This has been a very helpful thread so far! Along with Derek, I have learned a thing or two as well!

It sounds like Derek has been involuntarily enrolled in Manners Mitigation School. Hopefully his grades will drastically improve with the combination of harsh schoolmistresses (the older hens) and time. I know that shuttling hens back and forth can be quite exhausting, and is very generous of you as a rooster temp!. have to cage them
I'm counting on the schoolmistresses to keep them preoccupied .I'm not above using a cage either lol

Agree that an experienced adult rooster is great at teaching young males how to behave AND how to recognize and react to predators, but it does not always work.. Also agree with the behavior that was previously mentioned. A cockerel should be watchful and hesitant to approach you.

I won't even name a cockerel anymore until I see how he turns out. We currently have a young cockerel that we introduced along with his girlfriend when they were about 6-8wks old. They're probably about the same age. He was sweet to her right out of the gate and maintains a respectable distance from me and pretty much all the other chickens. They love to hang out in the rabbit pen during the day with the fat rabbit..

Been a few pages since I was here. Good to hear things are at least going.
Re: shuffling the layers in and out? Can you string fence up between run door to pop door so he can't go in coop? Girls can get in to lay that way.

One note I'd like to add for those new to Roosters. Your losing your lap girls for the most part. When you add a Roo, he takes over your job, these are his girls. Your just the giant that brings food and cleans up their crap. He does the job you were doing way better. Respect that.
When the girls start taking notice of him, (I would even start now if there's no chaos). I show my boys treats first and they take the credit for finding them. I praise them when they're being a good boy and tell them how pretty they are all the time. If one of my boys pops into the barn solo I hand treat just him.
I don't handle them unless I have to. If I pick up one of his girls I talk to him, (watch your back here, he may get upset at first... he don't know if your meaning to hurt one of His girls). When you bring her back, set her down in his vicinity.... again talk to him. If she ruffles up after setting her down, he may think you mated her, watch him, stand your ground, and scold him if he reacts towards you.
Always stand your ground. Don't ever let him think you are His. You get to do whatever you want because you rule but your looking for future mutual respect. Remember again, these are His girls and he takes his job very serious and will give his life for them. Treat him accordingly and you'll end up with that perfect Roo you wanted.

Agree that an experienced adult rooster is great at teaching young males how to behave AND how to recognize and react to predators, but it does not always work.. Also agree with the behavior that was previously mentioned. A cockerel should be watchful and hesitant to approach you.

I won't even name a cockerel anymore until I see how he turns out. We currently have a young cockerel that we introduced along with his girlfriend when they were about 6-8wks old. They're probably about the same age. He was sweet to her right out of the gate and maintains a respectable distance from me and pretty much all the other chickens. They love to hang out in the rabbit pen during the day with the fat rabbit..
I love that it’s. “Fat rabbit”. So cute!

Derek has 0 fear of me. The other one, Peter (Brahma) stays far away but currently has a squishy crop. I’m like May I please just have one solid cockerel?!

Been a few pages since I was here. Good to hear things are at least going.
Re: shuffling the layers in and out? Can you string fence up between run door to pop door so he can't go in coop? Girls can get in to lay that way.

One note I'd like to add for those new to Roosters. Your losing your lap girls for the most part. When you add a Roo, he takes over your job, these are his girls. Your just the giant that brings food and cleans up their crap. He does the job you were doing way better. Respect that.
When the girls start taking notice of him, (I would even start now if there's no chaos). I show my boys treats first and they take the credit for finding them. I praise them when they're being a good boy and tell them how pretty they are all the time. If one of my boys pops into the barn solo I hand treat just him.
I don't handle them unless I have to. If I pick up one of his girls I talk to him, (watch your back here, he may get upset at first... he don't know if your meaning to hurt one of His girls). When you bring her back, set her down in his vicinity.... again talk to him. If she ruffles up after setting her down, he may think you mated her, watch him, stand your ground, and scold him if he reacts towards you.
Always stand your ground. Don't ever let him think you are His. You get to do whatever you want because you rule but your looking for future mutual respect. Remember again, these are His girls and he takes his job very serious and will give his life for them. Treat him accordingly and you'll end up with that perfect Roo you wanted.
This is such an amazing post. I wish I could pin it!

I read the one article that was recommended earlier. I like when they said, “can you mate the hens? Can you protect them” No. great. That’s the roos job and he’s the boss. Not you. I feel like there should be a handbook for when you get chicks and what to do with a cockerel. Because you want them set up for success and not the soup pot. At least I know most of us here want that for them.

If I was dealing with this I would have a separation pen for the EE and only allow him some limited/supervised time with the bigger girls. Then lock him back up and let the littles out with time with the big girls. Do the same with the Brahma when the need arises.
We did this with him! So far the littles have full crops at the end of the day!

He goes after our oldest hen, Jeanne. She drop kicked him and wing slapped him, but he still was coming for her when her back was turned.

He won’t even try with my Buff Orp Debbie. He high tails it out of there when he sees her.

He doesn’t try to woo them at all. He just stalks Jeannie. She doesn’t even lay anymore! No gene passing from Jeanne!

We did this with him! So far the littles have full crops at the end of the day!

He goes after our oldest hen, Jeanne. She drop kicked him and wing slapped him, but he still was coming for her when her back was turned.

He won’t even try with my Buff Orp Debbie. He high tails it out of there when he sees her.

He doesn’t try to woo them at all. He just stalks Jeannie. She doesn’t even lay anymore! No gene passing from Jeanne!
I mean, right now he's like a fourteen years old kid in with a bunch of sexy cougars. Either he will learn or he won't, but give it some time and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom