Boys or Girls???

paloozaparty

Songster
Apr 28, 2020
Colorado
Of the 4 black and white chicks we have, I was originally POSITIVE that there was ONE boy in this foursome. Then, because of behavior as seen in this video--at LEAST 2 of the 4 do this provocative behavior many times a day--there's a 3rd one of the 4 who joins in now, and I'm POSITIVE that of the 4, there's at least ONE girl--because there's little to no initiating this type of confrontation EVER--sometimes, though, maybe confronted (but, doesn't respond aggressively). So, I'm curious if anyone has any guesses of gender--by way of looking at the behavior in this video, or observing comb color and/or tail feathers?

And, sidebar question--not all 4 have muffs/beards--I find that interesting that they wouldn't all have or NOT have? I don't think I've seen that muffs/beards are gender specific?...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/95LDPzPQTU7AW8ZT6

They're Brahma crosses.

The muffs and beards aren't gender specific.
I had three chicks from a hen with a rose comb. Only one of the three had a rose comb. They either get it or they don't.
It's kinda hard to tell the gender from that. But it does look likely you have a few boys.

While girls can play fight like that it is normally initiated by a boy in my experience. The white and brown I’m pretty sure are pullets. The green tinted curly tail feathers would indicate male.

Thanks for reminding me--i was going to mention that I noticed at least 2 have iridescent green in a couple of their trail feathers--which also reminded me of their dad's sickle feathers :0 and I wondered if in fact that iridescent green in trail feathers is a direct indication of boy?

In a lot of cases yes.
There are exceptions, (Australorps for example, as both male and female have a sheen all over.)
I do like the look of those Brahma crosses.

Back
Top Bottom