BR Egg Changed Color???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TipsyDog, Nov 20, 2009.

  1. TipsyDog

    TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    My Barred Rock has been laying typical light brown BR eggs in color and size since she started laying 6 weeks ago. Yesterday and today the egg color has changed ALOT - white with a pinkish hue. What would cause an egg color to change like that? She has oyster shell, layer crumbles and free ranges all day. Nothing has changed in diet or routine. Any ideas?

    ETA: Should I be worried?
     
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  2. Happy Chooks

    Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

    39,707
    1,236
    516
    Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I wouldn't worry, it might just be a fluke. You're sure it came from her?
     
  3. rhoda_bruce

    rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

    980
    3
    131
    Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Its been a while away from BRs but mine had rose colored brownish eggs. I loved the color.
     
  4. TipsyDog

    TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Quote:I'm 98% sure it came from the BR. The other 2% it could have come from a RIR, which would be even more alarming because the RIR's are darker than the BR's to begin with. It's two days in a row now with this very light egg.
     
  5. sillyaboutchickens

    sillyaboutchickens Out Of The Brooder

    62
    0
    29
    Aug 16, 2009
    NH
    We have a Java that just started laying green colored eggs. I was very surprised! I was sure her eggs would be brown. I am waiting to see if the color changes as she gets older.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by