BR or CM pullets

lmboeder

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2015
I ordered 3 BR chicks and 2 cuckoo Marans chicks. One passed away at 2 days old and I have 3 of the remaining 4 that I can't tell apart(one of the 4 has definite barring)

They have a little black on their beaks 2 have very light yellow legs with slate/black on the front and one has white legs. Any help would be appreciated. They all look like the pullet pictured but one has the white legs.

I've heard that some br's are showing up with whiter legs from hatcheries. This is where I'm also confused if that is true. They honestly look identical. Should the br's have "more" barring then the Marans? I'm new to this so I have a lot of questions.

Hatchery barred Rocks may have legs that sort of fade over time, but the foot bottoms are still going to be yellowish. On a young bird, a barred Rock will have clearly yellow feet. The Maran should have white or pink foot bottoms. The barring on hatchery birds is rarely show quality crisp and clear. I have a few barred Rocks that look more cuckoo than properly barred.

Barred Rocks have yellow legs. Cuckoo Marans have white legs.
Hatchery barred Rocks may have legs that sort of fade over time, but the foot bottoms are still going to be yellowish. On a young bird, a barred Rock will have clearly yellow feet. The Maran should have white or pink foot bottoms. The barring on hatchery birds is rarely show quality crisp and clear.
X2 on both of the above posts.

They are only 7 wks old also and obviously aren't laying so I know their legs are not fading. Hopefully as they get older there will be a little more of a difference and I get at least 1 laying dark eggs:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom