How many times can I give Beryls Friendly bacteria?

Laila992

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2021
Hi Everyone,

I've recently ordered Beryl's friendly bacteria as it looks like allergy season has struck one of my roosters and giving him some respiratory issues. I see a lot of people raving about it so figured I'd try that before giving him antibiotics. I have 5 chickens in total and 1 sachet can be administered to 12 chickens. Since I figured they could all benefit from a syringe each - I wondered if anyone knows if I can give them a syringe each for 2 days in a row (it should be used within 48 hours). I don't know if they could benefit from a little extra on the following day or whether it could be harmful?

Thanks
Laila

As an allergy sufferer, I can tell you probiotics won't do a thing for allergies. Probiotics won't hurt either but they're not going to do what you're hoping they will. What symptoms is he having and how much ventilation does your coop have?

He seems to be coughing/sneezing and taking deep breaths in with his mouth. He spends a lot of time outside but also inside the house. Coops pretty well ventilated. I've read a lot that says electrolytes and probiotics can help with this kind of stuff - stress from weather and resp issues. He's been checked by the vet and she said it doesn't sound too bad. He's tried anti inflammatory but they haven't helped at all. They've offered antibiotics instead but I wanted to try natural treatments first. Also still not sure if Beryl's can be given twice ?

That sounds more like a respiratory infection to me. I would separate him if you haven't already until this clears up. I personally would give the probiotics with the antibiotics since antibiotics can be rough on digestion sometimes but on their own, probiotics won't help that particular problem
Imma tag @Eggcessive since they know more about chicken diseases than me

There are a number of different respiratory diseases, including bacterial, viral, and fungal. The symptoms you are seeing may help to determine what is wrong, for example swollen eyelid, bubbles or foam in one eye, pus, crackly breathing, wheezing, head shaking, sneeze, cough, or gasping. If there are no bubbly or swollen eyelids, I would watch in case of a virus. What type of antibiotic was given? Probiotics can be used more than once.

Back
Top Bottom