Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

I sold my gold Brabanter flock last year. I am pleased with the culling I did to get good crests before I sold them. They were such delightful birds, but I wanted to spend more time on my Spitzhaubens.

I am looking to buy Brabanter chicks. I've tried to hatch them twice, with a so-so result each time. I'd like to try the more sure route. If you have some available, please let me know! THANKS!

hey guys/gals, at what age do you usually see your young spitz cocks crow?

heres some of my new spitzhauben. i know they are far from great. had a flock in the past, plan to cull a bit harder this time and try to get something atleast close to decent out of these down the road, will also add new blood as i find it

and a brabanter

Last edited:
My first Silver Spitz
love.gif
are about a month old now, how can I tell who the boys are? Thank you!

My first Silver Spitz
love.gif
are about a month old now, how can I tell who the boys are? Thank you!
Maybe these pictures will help you look at your own. Cockerels feather out slower, and tend to be smaller than the pullets..they catch up later. Note the differences in the crest at this age. In the second picture of the cockerel you can see the waddles starting to come in. Hallerlake pointed out to me with my first hatch that the pullets are darker on the back..it has proven true in each hatch. The pullets also get tail feathers first.

Day 18 Pullet on the left, cockerel on the right.

Pullet at 33 days

Cockerel 33 days

Back
Top Bottom