Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Where did you buy yours, Ewesheep?
Ideal Hatchery.....if you are going that route, you better buy many more than you need to get a few good ones!

If you don't want to spend all that money culling about almost 90 percent of the chicks to get a few good or acceptable ones, you might want to consider buying breeder's birds because they are a few steps ahead or generations ahead than the hatchery Spitzhaubens.

Last edited:
Blue,
I have raised both Brabanters and Spitzhaubens and love them both. Each seem to have mysterious deaths, but anything I could diagnosis externally was fixable.

Fowll pox is treatable if you keep on top of it. Put a drying agent like iodine or calomine lotion on each of the sores with a cotton swab every day until they are dry enough to gently pick off and throw away out of reach of the other birds.

I had an extremely bad case of fowl pox in one of my Brahma hens. She also had a pox sore in her ear. Once I got the scab off, I put peroxide in her ear daily until she was better. Her eyes were swollen almost shut too. She is fine now.

CRD is also treatable.

Hang in there.

Cackle hatchery Spitzhaubens. I ordered 20 and they sent 22. They are straight run.

I've got a question for the spithaubens experts out there. I just bought 3 spitz's from a fellow BYC'er. She got the spitz's from a hatchery. My question is they don't really have their Mohawks yet at all. All the pics I've seen of three week old spitz's they have quite the 'hawk' already. Here are a couple pics.

Sometimes you get some late "bloomers", I've had a few that had no mohawks and they got it later when they feathered out.
Great! Thanks. They have popped out the last couple days. Also, my DH and I noticed that they don't scratch as much as our other chicks did. I took them outside and I didn't really see them scratching around much, just pecking. Is that typical of the breed?

I wantecd to get a pullet to add to my flock, but I read that they don't like confinement. My chickens have a good sized coop and a good sized enclosed run, and they love it. Is it true that Spitzhaubens wouldn't be happy?

Thanks. I only have 2 hens from my original brabanter flock. I really like the breed, so I may try to start over with my brabanters next spring with some more chicks.

Blue,
I have raised both Brabanters and Spitzhaubens and love them both. Each seem to have mysterious deaths, but anything I could diagnosis externally was fixable.

Fowll pox is treatable if you keep on top of it. Put a drying agent like iodine or calomine lotion on each of the sores with a cotton swab every day until they are dry enough to gently pick off and throw away out of reach of the other birds.

I had an extremely bad case of fowl pox in one of my Brahma hens. She also had a pox sore in her ear. Once I got the scab off, I put peroxide in her ear daily until she was better. Her eyes were swollen almost shut too. She is fine now.

CRD is also treatable.

Hang in there.

Back
Top Bottom