Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

I wantecd to get a pullet to add to my flock, but I read that they don't like confinement. My chickens have a good sized coop and a good sized enclosed run, and they love it. Is it true that Spitzhaubens wouldn't be happy?
I never heard them complain LOL! They are just like any other chickens LOL!

I've got a 4x7 coop and a run that is 16 x 8 and they did fine. I have four girls.

So don't read everything to gospel you see about Spitzhaubens. Just ask any breeders and you will get different feedbacks.

As for Spitz not liking to scratch around, mine does. My run is BARE! They like to perch and poop on anything they can sit on, as in nesting boxes, waterers, and feeders.

Last edited:
When do Spitzhauben's get their little devil combs? I think I have a boy, his legs are huge and he didn't have tail feathers for 3 weeks unlike his sisters who had them at one week. My experience is that boys feather much later than girls. What do the spitz experts think?

I recently recieved 12 day old chicks from MyPetChicken and the 12th bird I selected "Assorted Rare" and this is the chick I got. At couple days old (in pic) I thought Lakenvelder, but as SHE has feathered out its obvious now she is a cool looking Silver Appenzeller Spitzhauben.

Thought I'd share this 10 day old chick pic as I have 20 other birds of various breeds and could tell the other 11 chick breeds apart by breed day one but this one threw me. Now I know to look at the nostrils.

Hi,

Does anyone have any Spitzhauben for sale? i live in Washington state.

thanks
I could put some eggs in the incubator for you if you like.

I showed acouple of my girls at the Mother Earth News Fair in Puyallup last weekend. I got BB, BV, RB, and RV. Granted, there were only 4 Spitz there, so there wasn't much competition.

I'm surprised to not see any reference or interest in Greenfire's more recent Spitz imports offered on Rare Breeds Auction. I thought they would be snatched up like hotcakes, but bidding seems to be slow and low, comparatively. The chamois are stunning. I'd like to see a lot more of them in breeders hands.

I've been seeing a lot lately about Avian Osteoporosis and it's frequency among Brabanters in American flocks. What are all your thoughts on this? Does anyone have a AO-free flock?? I heard that all the affected birds come from Ideal stock, even as far as 12 years back, but obviously I don't know that to be the truth. Does anyone know if Show Me Silkie's, Rainbow Gate or H and H Poultry's Brabanter flocks comes originally from Ideal (not saying they have AO AT ALL, just wondering), as I am looking for a AO-free flock...

I'm surprised to not see any reference or interest in Greenfire's more recent Spitz imports offered on Rare Breeds Auction. I thought they would be snatched up like hotcakes, but bidding seems to be slow and low, comparatively. The chamois are stunning. I'd like to see a lot more of them in breeders hands.
Judging from their pictures, the quality needs work. Personally, I am going to give them some time to work on that before I buy. When they first brought the Spitz to this country, they crossed them with some local Spitz of questionable quality.

I really, really, really love the Chamois.

I've been seeing a lot lately about Avian Osteoporosis and it's frequency among Brabanters in American flocks. What are all your thoughts on this? Does anyone have a AO-free flock?? I heard that all the affected birds come from Ideal stock, even as far as 12 years back, but obviously I don't know that to be the truth. Does anyone know if Show Me Silkie's, Rainbow Gate or H and H Poultry's Brabanter flocks comes originally from Ideal (not saying they have AO AT ALL, just wondering), as I am looking for a AO-free flock...
What I've heard is that AO has shown up in a couple of flocks. I got my birds from H and H two years ago. She got her birds from Ideal ten years before that. I've seen no signs of AO in my flock.

Could anyone tell me what color this first Spitzhaubens pictured is and also how can you tell the sex. I am clueless on the sex. Also what is the sex of the second chick. Is it to early to tell what sex they are?

Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom