Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

I found this Netherland and British Standard of Perfection on Brabanters: (http://www.kippengrabbelton.be/engels/)

Brabanters
ORIGIN Netherlands COMB V-shaped
SIZE EGG 52 gr BEARD yes
EGGS/YEAR 150 CRESTED yes
EGGCOLOURS white FEATHERED LEGS no
SIZE MALE 2500 gr TOES 4
SIZE FEMALE 2000 gr CHARACTERISTICS rare breed, trimming beard and crest is necessary
RING MALE/FEMALE 19 mm
16 mm COLOURS black gold spangled, black silver spangled, yellow white spangled, black, white, laced blue, cuckoo
FLYING 2m TEMPERAMENT vitally, some are agressive, not confidential

BREEDING no PRODUCTION layer, fancy

Trimming beards, uh no lOL! Aggressiveness, nope, not in the US LOL!
As for the wattles, I think we created our own Brabanters so it would be American Brabanters instead of the true Brabanters of UK.

Ok, so at this point..IF we have wattles in the U.S.A., Right or wrong by the standards set by others countries. Seems we in the USA do things the way we want and until the standards are adopted by us, we are free to have wattles on our roos.
Anyway, I am proud of my Brabanters. Some may like or not like the "wattles" but to say they are wrong.. Is not correct.
smile.png

Thanks for all of the information! Keep it coming, I like to gain knowledge.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Quote:
Depends on your definition of "aggressiveness". My girls are hell on bare legs. They are absolutely certain that you are covered in tasty bugs, and they intend to peck off every one of them!
lol.png

I'm definitely in the beard-over-wattles camp. I don't care if the cock has wattles buried under the beard, or not. But that beard is one of the main features of the breed -- so ya gotta preserve its prominence!

Quote:
Depends on your definition of "aggressiveness". My girls are hell on bare legs. They are absolutely certain that you are covered in tasty bugs, and they intend to peck off every one of them!
lol.png

I'm definitely in the beard-over-wattles camp. I don't care if the cock has wattles buried under the beard, or not. But that beard is one of the main features of the breed -- so ya gotta preserve its prominence!

Me too, beard over wattles! I am a stickler for UK birds, why mess up the beauty which they were created in the first place?!
Aggressiveness in nature??? I honestly dont think so! But aggressive about getting somewhere where it is tasty, you bet! That applies to any bugs that had the unfortunate opporunity to get into the Brabanters' pen. Might just put a TINY LITTLE sign on the bug's level WARNING....ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Why do we have to mess up the breed?
barnie.gif
I must admit, that is a good thing about America which we can do anything we want.

Mmizell, I bow to you and accept your newly named the USA Brabanters! I crown thee!
bow.gif
I still love the girls you got there! The roos, nada! I'm still into the bearded variety!

If we can have the UK standard of Brabanters, then we can justify it. Until then, we will wait for the updated USA standards of the Brabanters.

No need to get nasty.. Ewesheep.
This is a friendly place, everyone is here to learn.. not be chastized. Ok you like my hens ok, not my roos. That is fine. I guess even if I looked at anyones chickens. And did not like them.. I would keep my opinion to myself unless asked. Because I don't consider myself one that knows everything.. That is why I am here to learn.
So lets just get back to learning.
smile.png

M

Quote:
Sorry, I am not being nasty. It's hard to see where we are going with the Brabanters but going by the UK standard, its pretty obvious.

Yes, I agree we all here to learn. I just wish for an UK Brabanter breeder in here to tell us if we are going the right direction or not. Otherwise, we made ourselves American Brabanters and then we will know what we have.

I will leave it as that and leave it alone until the standards come out or someone who has more experience of the breed. I am having one of my Dutch friends to translate the standards and see if there is anything stated about Brabanter's bearded and wattled varities. Its like calling an Amercuana roo with wattles an Amercuana. See what I mean? You and I know what an Amercuana looks like but no denying the fact, in the standards they should NOT have wattles. In UK, as mentioned above, they should be bearded but we do not have a standard as far as I know for USA. That would solve our problems.

I think there is alot of research to be made to make sure we are heading in the right direction. Everyone got their own preferences in their birds, that's ok.

Until then, I will leave it alone until we get more information on the USA standard of the Brabanters.

Back
Top Bottom