Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Pics
Quote:
Speaking of huge wattles.....if you want to see some huge wattles on both gold and cream brabanters, look here:

http://www.nantahala-farm.com/chicken-brabanter-s.shtml

ep.gif

That's where I bought my first brabanters from -- before I knew any better. I selected out youngsters that were much better than those pictured, but obviously that lady doesn't care much about the standard! Unfortunately, my first batch of chickens were all killed by one of my own dogs.
rant.gif

Yep that is the website I was shocked at the size of those wattles! Those are HUGE LOL! Lovely as they look but one roo looks a little smutty looking in his feather pattern. I am so sorry about your first batch of Brabanters being killed, no one ever wanted them to be killed for the time and money invested in it.

We got alot of work to do and hopefully the standards will come out. I dont know whether to laugh or cry for those who got wattled roosters when the standard comes out NO wattles or lack of it showing then they will either call them American Brabanters or cull them all out. That is for SERIOUS Brabanter breeders. For those who want eye candy, not a problem for them.

Becky I do not know which pic you are refering to the white earlobes. If it is the Spitzhaubens, sure, they supposed to have white earlobes.

Quote:
Speaking of huge wattles.....if you want to see some huge wattles on both gold and cream brabanters, look here:

http://www.nantahala-farm.com/chicken-brabanter-s.shtml

ep.gif

That's where I bought my first brabanters from -- before I knew any better. I selected out youngsters that were much better than those pictured, but obviously that lady doesn't care much about the standard! Unfortunately, my first batch of chickens were all killed by one of my own dogs.
rant.gif

I was talking about the brabanters on this link ...and I guess, it will all depend on what the standards here actually call for when we do have some.

Heres my Cream Brabanter Cock:

2896989420_31efb4a16a.jpg

I am looking for some hens to buy because I lost most a while ago. I will give someone eggs if they sell me some hens.

Last edited:
I've got a few extra hens, but you probably don't want to pay for shipping that far!

That "Big W Ranch" whose pictures I found was in Washington, you might google for them....

Yes there somewhere near me. I should maybee order some chicks from ideal and cull the out because thats where the Big W Ranch got theres from.

Here is an Adult Description I was sent from April at H and H Poultry in Texas:
Adult Description
The most recognizable characteristics of Brabanters are the flat-sided upright crest with front feathers that are bent a little forward and their well developed muffs and beard, which form three lobes that cover the cheek and chin. The crest should not be as large of globular as the Polish varieties. The plumage is fairly hard and right, similar to Polish varieties. They have very large bodies: although, they are not heavy in bone. They have the appearance of strong, hardy birds. The shape of the body, which thickens considerably from the breast to stern, helps to determine that it is evidently a good layer since there is ample space in the region of the egg organs. The posterior part of the body is carried low, without the legs being short, and in the case of the hens, it almost touches the ground. The males have a moderately upright carriage of their body which is moderately narrower at the tail. The head is medium sized, rather broad between the eyes without a protuberance. They have a V-shaped comb consisting of two small, separated, rounded spikes placed in front of the crest. They have beaks that are medium in size, powerful and slightly curved. If wattles are present, they are very small and covered by the beard. The white ear lobes are small and concealed by the muffs. They eyes, which are prominent and alert, Are orange to red brown. The neck, which is fairly long, slightly curved and carried erect, has an abundance of hackle plumage. The back, which slopes downward, is fairly long. The breast that is carried a little forward is broad, full and rounded. The tail, which is carried at a 60-degree to 70-degree angle above horizontal, is large and well spread. The well-developed thighs are of medium length and set well apart. They have four toes on each foot that are well spread. The general characteristics of the female are similar to those of the mail, allowing for the natural sexual differences. All of the fairly tight, hard plumage of the Cream Brabanter is cream with each feather ending with a half-moon black spangle; however, the color of the tail may be entirely black. They have a horn beak and lead blue legs and feet.

Back
Top Bottom