Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Pics
Quote:
Thanks! I guess my Brabanters are just developing their combs a bit slower than the other breeds I have. I've checked some of the brabanters, and most of them have practically no comb development at all. There is one that's a bit larger than the others, and it has a couple tiny comb spikes, so possible roo? I've also got 2 runts that have no crests yet (one of them has the maybe startings of a tiny crest - at 4 weeks?) and are much smaller than the others. Out of 8, most of them seem to be getting pretty good crests (not too Polish poof looking so far), but one of the nicer crested ones doesn't seem to have a beard.

Last edited:
You may have all girls. Look at my post #486. The Brabanters in the picture are about the same age as yours. Pretty obvious which two are the boys.

Quote:
Yep, those were insanely obvious. lol! I may wait a bit longer for mine. At 4 weeks, mine aren't nearly as well feathered as yours; they still have fairly stumpy tails. The one that's a bit larger has a longer tail than most of the others, and that's the one I was thinking might be a rooster. One of them is supposed to be a rooster (I ordered 7 pullets, 1 cockerel), so I'm hoping at least one of them is. Otherwise, I guess the one Barred Rock rooster packing peanut I plan to keep can have them for his ladies, along with the packing peanut that turned out to be a pullet. I guess I'll wait to see what develops. I may post picks so more experienced Brabanter owners than myself can chime in.

Last edited:
After looking through many pictures on this thread I see the spangling patterns are quite variable, very much like the McGraws which were developed in part from Spitzhaubens. Could someone post a picture of a young (around 5-8) week old lighter spangled Spitzhauben such as in third picture of post 461, and an adult photo of the same bird? Thanks.

Last edited:
Does anyone now how many lines of Spitzhaubens have been imported since Dr. Albert McGraw imported them? Thanks.

Blue,
I transposed what you wrote. I read your birds were 8 weeks old, instead of 4 weeks. My birds in the picture were 8 weeks old at the time. At four weeks it is still a little early to figure out the sex. I can usually tell at around 6 weeks. Keep looking !

Quote:
lol! That's a relief! I thought mine were just stunted after looking at your birds. I have been dealing with a bout of Cocci in some of my 4 week olds, so I was worrying that maybe their growth had been affected in some way.

Quote:
Mine are almost three months old, and only one has an obvious comb (he also has the smallest crest). Do i really dare believe the others are pullets? I'll try to get pictures today.

59103_p6280075.jpg

59103_p6280074.jpg

These are my brabanters. They are almost three months old. Only one has an obvious comb. Two have blunt tail feathers. Three, including the obvious cockerel, have pointed tail feathers.

How many roos do I have?

Back
Top Bottom