Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Pics
Hi all,

I ordered Cackle's rare breed special. I 've been so excited trying to ID breeds.

Anyway the pretty silvery grey chicks looked just like Silver Spangled Hamburgs. I thought that's fine.They are a pretty bird.

Well the other night I was making pics of all the different 14 day olds.

I thought...what's wrong with the head's on the Hamburg's? Their feathers look funky on their head almost like a crest. Oh,well.
idunno.gif

Last night I was on this thread and something connected. Ding! Holy Cow they are Spitzs.
I didn't see that coming.

To be sure I will also post on what breed or gender.

69933_100_0622.jpg

69933_100_0617.jpg

Edt. for sp.

Last edited:
Thanks momma hen. I love those little crests.

I looked on their site and it is a breed listed. I just didn't know they didn't show their crests right away as a Polish would.

Oh I'm so in trouble as I don't have room for all the new breeds I got this year.
hide.gif

I have a cream and gold Brabanter I got from Ideal about a month ago. Maybe one of the Spitzs will be a pullet and I can talk my BFF to find room at her place so I can enjoy it through her.

We got two brabanter chicks yesterday. I need to get some pictures but it has been crazy. One has a larger "crest" than the other, could that mean one is a male? They are both supposed to be pullets. I will try and post pictures tomorrow. They are sooooooo sweet with big adorable eys. I am in love with this breed already!

Quote:
The crest size isn't any indication of the gender, or at least it hasn't been with my brabanters. My male actually has a rather small crest compared to some of my girls. A better indicator of gender is the comb. I noticed that my male's comb started growing and turning red at around 7/8 weeks, but my hens still have barely noticeable combs with no red.

Quote:
The crest size isn't any indication of the gender, or at least it hasn't been with my brabanters. My male actually has a rather small crest compared to some of my girls. A better indicator of gender is the comb. I noticed that my male's comb started growing and turning red at around 7/8 weeks, but my hens still have barely noticeable combs with no red.

Agreed. In my limited experience, the comb is the key.

Quote:

I would agree. I recently raised a bunch of Brabanter chicks. By 8 weeks, my Brabanter cockerels had little red horns, while the girls had no sign of a comb or wattles at all.
smile.png
So cute!

Quote:
Have her weird feathers improved at all?

Not yet, we're bathing her in warm water daily, keep hoping maybe it's just the sheaths are to dry? no idea really, just hoping it's something simple

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing when I got my two brabanter "pullets" (I ordered pullets - they are only 10 wks old so I am still not 100% but I think they are ...) Apparently the crests do not develop in all birds - certainly not the same in all birds. So I have one brabanter with a black crest - and one with a full beard but no real crest at all. My friend who got the rest of the brabanters (from same order from Ideal) also has two with crests and one without. I wonder if this is what you are seeing??
good luck - please post pics
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom