Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Pics
I was reading on a Canadian chicken site that the folks there got their Brabanters from Ideal. I guess they used to ship to border towns in the USA, and the people would cross over to get their chickens.n The Golds seem to be a lot more consistent here. I wonder if the Creams started out as "sports".

The blue and chamois spitz created in Germany are pretty cool. Here's an interesting article:

http://breedsavers.blogspot.com/2011/05/appenzeller-spitzhauben.html

And here's a chamois pic:

spitzheadshot.jpg

Last edited:
I've spoken to Keevin. Seems like a really nice guy. His dad was a poultry superstar. Keevin told me the story of how the original silver spangled spitz were brought to America by a German POW who decided to settle in Alabama after he was held there as a prisoner during World War II. He simply brought them over on a commercial plane with him when he traveled shortly after the war ended. I take it that U.S Customs wasn't quite as vigilant back in the day.

I was under the impression that the golds had been imported at some point in recent years --maybe informally imported-- from, in the words of the person who described it to me, "across the pond." So, if that rumor is true, I'm not exactly sure of the timing or country of origin. Probably in the last five years, definitely from Europe. That's all of the story that I have.

Well, Stonehenged, are you going to import some of those lovely Spitzhaubens in the US?????? We certainly need some new blood! And that dreaded disease to be negative that the McGraws had problems with.

Just beautiful information!

Quote:
Yes, he is a very nice guy. He told me about the Spitzhauben importation also. I believe the German friend of Dr. McGraw brought over around three to four dozen Spitzhauben eggs.

Back
Top Bottom