Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Pics
thought that Dr McGraw imported the eggs into the US himself, and only a few handful survived the flight.

Yeah the egg importation was not as strict as they are today. I think it was a blessing LOL!

thumbsup.gif

I think Carla has the same information but not exactly sure. I have always known that Dr McGraw had imported them. Now if his son can verify that, all for the better to get the story straight.

I am sure as the years go by, more and more people will have more information about the Spitz importation and when they first arrived here.

Quote:
Yes, that is correct. I was not aware that this friend was a prisoner of war though. This is my understanding - The German told Dr. McGraw about the Spitzhaubens during World War II. After the war was over, this friend lived near Anderson, Alabama. When Dr. McGraw heard his friend was going to visit his homeland, he asked him to bring him back eggs of the Appenzeller Spitzhauben. To Albert's surprise, when his friend returned from Germany, he had with him three or four dozen hatching eggs. From this group of hatching eggs, Dr. McGraw started his flock which was the only Spitzhauben strain in the United States for many years.

Last edited:
That's consistent with my recollection of the story Keevin told me. He even mentioned the name of the German POW, but I can't recall it now. If my memory is correct the German was held in a camp near Dr. McGraw's hometown. There were six POW camps in Alabama so this is quite possible. Anyway, the German learned to like the US so much that when he was released he briefly returned to Germany and then emigrated to the US to become a citizen. Dr. McGraw asked him to bring some spitz eggs to America, and he obliged. It's a pretty fascinating story attached to an equally fascinating breed.

Thank you for the enlighting story! It would be an honor to get the name of the German gentleman who made it possible. It is very possible that this gentleman has probably passed on long ago. Not sure if Mrs. McGraw is still alive. I am tickled pink hearing stories about the importations.

Now only if we can find some old pictures of the original importations and their progency/offsprings to compare the today's Spitzhaubens, whether or not, we have purposefully destroyed it. I know some breeders would sell their entire flock of Spitzhaubens to a hatchery which it is a real dis service in most cases.

I love the colors of the Spitzhaubens but my first love of the Silver Spangled color won my heart. Then the Golden Spangled and I really kind of liking the Chamois Spitzhaubens too. We got too many blue feathered breeds so it really didn't interest me unless you want to make a blue spangled Spitzhauben LOL!

Back
Top Bottom