Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Pics
Quote:
Hanna looks like she has lacing. But she's void of that large amount of black coloring that appear on some (like Mopsy). Good cream color. Have you had any little ones from Blondie and Hanna? Might end up with some really nice birds! Flopsy too. Blondies small crest might balance out hers. Where did you get your stock?

Quote:
Hanna looks like she has lacing. But she's void of that large amount of black coloring that appear on some (like Mopsy). Good cream color. Have you had any little ones from Blondie and Hanna? Might end up with some really nice birds! Flopsy too. Blondies small crest might balance out hers. Where did you get your stock?

These birds were hatched around the end of March. They're not laying yet. Blondie is beginning to feel his hormones and chasing the girls around. I got them from H and H poultry in Texas.

Quote:
H and H got hers from Ideal about ten years ago.

Ultimately all the Brabanters came from Ideal. Ideal no longer remembers where they got them.

Last edited:
Quote:
Ideal about ten years ago.

Are you saying both Cackle and H&H got their foundation stock from Ideal?

I know that H and H got hers from them. She said all the Brabanters in the US originally came from Ideal. That's one of the reasons I'm anxious to do some out crossing. It's a very small gene pool as is the Spitz gene pool.

I am guessing that Spitzhaubens came from Dr McGraw or someone got a flock from him and sold them to Ideal Hatchery. It is not unusual for hatcheries to snap up the rare breeds when a breeder decides to go out of business.

Yesterday I got tiki a big cage to live in when in the house. We were going camping for the weekend, close to town with plans on going home to feed and water our gang. We went home this morning and dropped the kids at the house while mom and I went hunting for bee traps, the kids found tiki dead in her new cage.
She had been back in the house a couple weeks as she was losing weight and just not doing well, losing weight, lethargic.
I'm just shocked. She seemed to be doing so Much better and was eating well.
Kim is just devastated. She pulled that baby through the first month when she was just a little runt. She even had tiki sleeping with her sometimes .
She's been in tears most of the day

Quote:
I'm so sorry for you! It's so sad losing any of them, but especially those "special" ones
sad.png

i have 4 brabanters that i got at a sale a few weeks ago. i have 2 that don't have beards and one is my rooster. will i still get beards from my hens if they have breeds and the rooster don't, also they paper that came with them said they were cream brabanters, are they right? i was told they were gold. just am trying to get it figured out. never had barbanters before. i'm trying to get some good breeding stock. not really shore if i made a good buy with them or not. so could i get a little help from some of you that have been in the chicken business for a lot time and that have own brabents help me out a little to get headed in the right direction to good breeding stock. would really like to have show quality bantams and chickens but i need to learn more before i get to cared away. here's a pic of my brabents.
103649_fs_004.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom