Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Your birds are awesome, I love the black and white.
I got 2 hens last night at an auction. I thought maybe they were crossed with Polish because of the lacing along with the 'mohawk', someone mentioned to me it may be Spitzhauben they're crossed with. Here's a picture of one of them, they both look the same. Would your guess be Spitzhauben cross also? Or Polish? I bought them because they were soooo cool looking with those hats
smile.png
Isn't she a hoot?
w1.jpg

Quote:
She does look a bit like a cross between Elvis and Elton John
lol.png

ItsAZOO32, I love your Silkie cross. Silkie mixes make some of the coolest looking birds!

Those are cute birds !

Ksane,
I don't think your birds were crossed with a Polish, because both breeds have "V" combs, and yours doesn't have one. (Chris correct me on the genetics of this if I am wrong).

However, I have crossed a Polish with other breedss and some ended up with a crest and a buttercup type comb. The other birds did not have "V" combs though.

Thanks, Allen. Turns out you're right. I talked to the guy who bought them from the original owner and he said they're Spitzhaubens. He said he kept the black ones (I didn't realize they even came in black). I really like them-whether they're pure or mixes or whatever they are. The way they look at me with their head sideways and that puff of fuzz on top of their heads just cracks me up
lol.png

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge, there are no black Spitzhaubens in the USA. The birds in your pictures may have Spitzhauben in them, but the combs are wrong for them to be pure bred.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom