Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

With AS the tail is giving it away for me. The pullet has that fan shaped, nearly all feathers the same length tail and seems to hold her tail upright most of the time. While the two cockerels tails have the longer feathers with shorter feathers, they hold their tails more parallel to the ground.

Howdy Folks,

I have 2 app spitz from the original 12. Freaky (Named 'cause she freaks out when I come near her) is perfect! She is laying huge white eggs and is beautiful. Not a show specimen but perfect for my little backyard flock. It was 110 out when I took this so her wings are spread/drooped a bit.

Hoppy is the last of the sub par birds who has not died. She is a sweetheart, hops up on you lap when you sit down (hence the name) but there a major picking problem. I have to keep her separated as she is pecked bloody by the others. (She is in the kitchen in a tote now.)

She has not gone through puberty yet (face not red, no wattles etc...) & is about 7 months old now.

I am wondering if this is the manifestation of th virus (disease) that all american App Spitz are supposed to have.

She has deformed (& missing) toenails and one of her eyes bulges & she does not open it much (there is not much eye under there anyway)

She no longer is active and doesn't eat much - almost like she has lost motivation as well.

This is a shot of her bobbing for apples in the sink three weeks ago. The blue is Blu-Kote for the wounds (they were pretty severe and gross so no picts of them for you)

Any information and or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks as always.

Mikey

Last edited:
Roo number one and two are the better ones for comb wise.

Number two has even wattles than one.

Better keep two roos, in case one gets into an accident or untimely death.

I have two of them that have combs just like number one, I only posted one of them. I've got it down to three roos out of six. If I keep two...that leaves me with just having to eliminate one. Phew!

This is the one I didn't picture, his wattles are more even.

Here he is falling asleep =)

This is a boy right? What do you think? Anyone in the east central florida area want to buy him? Am I dumb to hold out ANY chance this could be a girl?
lol.png

Last edited:
The 2nd #1 is the best. The wider spaced comb will do well as he gets older, and his wattles are better. However, for breeding, the wattles probably won't be a factor. I would keep both of the #1's.

I have two of them that have combs just like number one, I only posted one of them. I've got it down to three roos out of six. If I keep two...that leaves me with just having to eliminate one. Phew!

This is the one I didn't picture, his wattles are more even.

Here he is falling asleep =)

Back
Top Bottom