Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Looks like a guy to me...
I have two of them that have combs just like number one, I only posted one of them. I've got it down to three roos out of six. If I keep two...that leaves me with just having to eliminate one. Phew!

This is the one I didn't picture, his wattles are more even.

Here he is falling asleep =)

Thanks Carla..but dang it... thought I had it figured out...now you are making me re-think. In the first series of roos..I was going to keep #1 and then the roo in the second set of pics I posted (both picks are same roo) I like the combs of the two that are like the first roo...but the second roo in the first set of pictures...well I like his size and body. Maybe I'll post picks of my three choices for your opinion. (Although I'm quite attached to the roo in the last pictures with the blue band..I named him "Nod", he follows me around and he is sweet.)
Do you also think I should keep two roos? I only have one hen and I'm not having any luck locating hatching eggs or more hens.
DeAnna

Roo #1 (red)

Roo #2 (orange)

Roo #3 (blue)

#2 and #3 have the same comb. #1 is the biggest, #2 is the smallest of the three and #3 is medium. #2 has really pleasing, small, well balanced spangles..but I don't really think any of them have bad spangling. I've stared at them sooooo much, lol. I feel confident one day and then I doubt myself the next.

Last edited:
DeAnna,
Since you only have one hen, I would only keep one roo with her for breeding. Nod sounds like a pet, and you could keep him with your other birds.

You will get more hatching eggs eventually, and can pick again.

I agree with Carla, keep one roo for one hen and get chicks out of them. From those chicks, you can use one of your older roos with young pullet out of your F1 crosses.

It is not unusual to find a pair to start from.

The 2nd #1 is the best. The wider spaced comb will do well as he gets older, and his wattles are better. However, for breeding, the wattles probably won't be a factor. I would keep both of the #1's.

The second number one? Of the pictures you re-posted in this post....both pictures are of the same roo. AND it is Nod..the one I like.

I think you are telling me the orange and lt blue banded ones are keepers and to not keep red banded roo.

Last edited:
HAVE 8 CHICKS APPROX 8 WEEKS OLD. SO ADORABLE JUST LOVE EM. DON'T SHOW SO THEY ARE ALL PERFECT TO ME. WHAT DO I LOOK FOR TO TELL IF THEY AARE HENS OR ROOSTERS? THEIR DO'S ALL LOOK THE SAME PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME WAIT FOR THE CROW.... THANKS MISS CHICKEN

Two weeks ago, I put a dozen Spitz/Spitz/Brabanter eggs in the incubator. As of last night, I had one early quitter, and eleven developing. I'm hoping for a cockerel with a good comb to put with his great aunts. Any pretty hens will go with Uncle Otto. The next generation will be 7/8ths Spitz.

Last edited:
I just got 15 Spitz eggs in the mail today! I am not expecting much, if anything...but I just had to try! I'm so excited. I was on my way out the door so I didn't have time to candle them.

Back
Top Bottom