Bragg's Mountain Golden Buffs?

Jul 2, 2019
A local friend has a stunning flock of Bragg's Mountain Golden Buffs and I'm getting eggs from her to hatch some for myself! I'm not seeing much current info on the breed. So what's the up to date news on these beauties?

A local friend has a stunning flock of Bragg's Mountain Golden Buffs and I'm getting eggs from her to hatch some for myself! I'm not seeing much current info on the breed. So what's the up to date news on these beauties?
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

As far as I know Golden Buffs are a sex link and not a breed... they won't breed true. :confused:

Taken from Meyer's hatchery...

"Golden Buff Chickens are a leader in the brown egg market and are by far the most popular breed we sell. Golden Buffs are known by many other names, such as Golden Comet, ISA Brown, Cinnamon Queen, Red Sex Link, and Red Star. Our customers favor this breed for its large eggs and quiet temperament. Golden Buffs are a sex-linked hybrid, which means the sex of the day old baby chicks can be determined by their feather color when they hatch. Our line of Golden Buffs have Rhode Island Red and Leghorn in their heritage. Mature hens have a soft buff-red color and roosters are white with darker wing, neck, and tail feathers.
You can expect around 395 large to x-large brown eggs in 72 weeks from each of these hens. Golden Buffs mature at around 20 weeks, thrive in a free range environment and are cold tolerant."

I wouldn't expect to hatch Golden Buff's from those eggs. Though you can still have fun and they should still be prolific layers. Just not sex linked at hatch and probably not exactly the same look as your friends flock. :pop

I remember seeing advertisements I think in mother earth news when I was a lot younger. I believe the gentleman started with BOs then selected the biggest eggs to hatch generation after generation until he got what he called buff layers of jumbo eggs. I don't know if this is what your friend has just something I remember..

I remember seeing advertisements I think in mother earth news when I was a lot younger. I believe the gentleman started with BOs then selected the biggest eggs to hatch generation after generation until he got what he called buff layers of jumbo eggs. I don't know if this is what your friend has just something I remember..
I believe that's what she has.

As far as I can tell... Buffs and Golden Buffs are two different things.

https://animals.mom.me/golden-buff-chicken-1676.html

https://permies.com/t/1221/critters/egg-laying-breed-chicken

Lets see pics of your friends flock? ;)

What color eggs are they laying, that you're hatching? :pop

Braggs Mountain, a hatchery like any other. Golden Buff, an industry term for red sex link. Not saying they are beautiful birds, just that maybe the reason you can't find much info is because they are called by so many names. :confused:

Brown eggs, pretty good sized. The light chicks in the broader pic are the Bragg's.
imagejpeg_0_2.jpg

Last edited:
How did your Braggs mountain buffs turnout? Regardless what they're trying to tell you they're not sex linked because the roosters are buff-colored! I'd be interested in obtaining some if you ever got them going shoot me an email back or a message.

Back
Top Bottom