Brahma 'Baby' 8 Months WITH feathers.UPDATE

I'm pretty sure that it's a pullet as the head and neck look fairly OK for a Blue partridge Brahma pullet. She still seems to have a defective Silkies bum though!

Those fluffy feathers on her rear have a normalish looking quill and rachis for half of their length, but they then go on to have very odd cottony barbs.

Her head somehow looks a bit cobra like!

I think she has more feathers, but those wings will never be functional.

IMG_2663.JPG

Remains happy,otherwise healthy, excellent feeder and able to stand up for herself.

That's a Dark Brahma pullet behind her hatched at the same time.

Last edited:
I've had a few Brahmas like her before, had to put them down after getting way too attached. She's very pretty though, the defect aside. Very nice Blue Partridge color too
smile.png

What does your girl look like now? I just found the thread and see it has been awhile since you posted a pic of her. Hope all is fine.

Hi, Moel is doing fine. She is definitely smaller than her hatch mates now, but is bright, great appetite and very active.

This pic. is from Oct 4th....I'll take a pic. of her later today.This one does not do her justice,as she looks a lot prettier than this.

IMG_6443.jpg

She definitely has more feathers and, as they tend to curve towards the underside, they are quite functional . The ridiculous up-turned feathers seen on her wings are slowly falling out and are being replaced by feathers which curve more towards her body.However, as the wing feathers are few in number, she will never fly (But, anybody ever seen a Brahma fly????). The colour of the feathers is actually prettier than the usual Blue Partridge Brahma, being somehow a softer shade.

This is ready for the winter, should she need it

IMG_6462.jpg

She'll need a raincoat around here, too.

She's now 28 weeks old, and doesn't look like she is going to lay eggs any day soon.Her Brahma hatch mates are all still pink in the face, though, as my Brahmas seem to be nearer the 9 months before they start. Maybe she never will lay eggs as she may have other problems, but nothing else is apparent as of this stage. She may just be another talking point in my slightly funny flock!

So just to conclude this tale.......she has a pretty full set of feathers....even the wing feathers are now looking normal. Her tail feathers are still developing, but she is looking good.

IMG_6562.jpg

Nearly 8 months old before she has her full set!

lol.png

It takes a long time to look that good!
She looks wonderful now.
Is Moel a Welsh name?
My mother's family came from Wales.

I think she needs her sweater, only to look mahvelous.
I would love to see pics of her in her sweater.
Thank you for sharing her story.

Beth

Back
Top Bottom