Brahma cant get into or out of coop

Megsswm

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2016
Have. 7 month old Brahma who is a giant ..... Sweet as pie but a bit dumb.... She can't/ wont use ramp to get into coop at night and if I put her up there myself she can't get out in morning. If I don't manually put her in and out she sleeps in run ( secured) but worried in winter for warmth. Sometimes one of my olive eggers sleeps with her outside which helps..... Tried training her to walk up ramp , know the door is big enough.... Also noticed when she is in coop she can't get up to roost bars even lower ones ... She roosts on overturned bucket.
So do I make her her own "house " in the run out of a small doghouse or something ? Or let her sleep in run?
Our coop is an treehouse converted to coop... With attached covered run. Ramp is not very steep a gradual grade but goes up about five feet.
At a loss with this hen..... Also my daughters favorite so have to figure something out.
We have a mixed flock of a dozen birds and while she sometimes gets picked on they get along well so it's not a bully situation where she isn't allowed in.....
Advice ? Ideas ?

Welcome to BYC!

Pics of your ramps and roosts would really help.

My big brahma girls are not the most agile either.
I did ramps and wider nest perch because they were struggling.
Nest perch in this pis the old one, changed it out to 2x4.
Cleats could actually be closer together, but they work OK.

I will take some pics today and post. Ramp is about five six feet long and a five foot height to top maybe maybe a bit less. I know she has the ability to get to roost height bc she flies to top of the garbage bin she likes to stand on top of in run. We made a lower roost for her in roost but she uses the bucket still even though same height. She is the same size /height as a giant cuckoo orpington I have and she has no problem with ramps or roosts or in and out .

The hen I am talking about is the bottom pic. She will fly up to ramp but won't budge. Checked her feet and legs and see no issues .....

I think it needs more prominent cleats for traction.
Might also put a concrete block(16" high) under low end to reduce angle.
Can't quite see where ramp leads to?

Ramos leads to
Ground of run. And ramp is covered in non skid but could add cleats.

Back
Top Bottom