Brahma cockerel foot problems

Ziggy1973

Songster
Apr 17, 2020
Geneseo, Illinois
I have an eight month old Brahma cockerel. His legs are red and it looks like his feathers have been pulled out. Has anyone had this issue? I'm worried that there's something wrong. He's acting fine and doesn't seem to have trouble walking. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• 20201029_081528.jpg
    20201029_081528.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 20
Leg mites are too small for the human eye to see, but you can tell if they're there by if your chickens leg scales are raised up and rough looking. This is a good article for identification and treatment just in case, but I don't think it's leg mites. https://the-chicken-chick.com/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens/ I think it is normal mites but I'm kind of confused because normal mites usually stay near the vent and don't even go close to the leg. But if it is normal mites, yes it should be fairly obvious, check above the vent, (The poop hole) and if you go through all the fathers if there ever are any mites, you should see them crawling around. they look like gross tan beetles. Check around the neck and under the wings too. You can treat mites with permethryn and if one chicken has it the whole flock has it and you will have to clean the coop too. If it isn't mites, then I have no idea. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom