Brahma crossed with what?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickmashnoon, Nov 8, 2011.

1. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two roosters who have a brahma for a dad, but their original owner is not sure of who their mom was- she said it was one of a few utility breeds, maybe white rock? perhaps RIR? or a leghorn? i think those were the choices she gave me- do you guys have any ideas? I'm going to let him breed with my Barred rocks and favorelle, and EE's for some mutt chickens that I'm hoping will be a halfway decent size for meat and maybe have decent egg production.

The Black&white one is Charlie- and he has some barring on his black tailfeathers.

The White one has a faint beige barring on his body and a slightly taupe color to his tailfeathers. He's Latte.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any ideas on what they are mixed with?

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Maybe Charlie's crossed with BR or Delaware. Not too sure. They're both handsome young men though! [​IMG]

3. chickmashnoon

Any idea on Latte? I was thinking the white rock myself but I know almost nothing about poultry genetics and how attributes are passed on.

4. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    The first one looks like a barred rock mom. The second makes me think leghorn based on his side profile

5. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Do you know what color the brahma was?

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Probably White Rock and Barred Rock. White Rocks can hide a lot behind their white genes.

7. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Quote:That's what I thought!

8. chickmashnoon

This is how she described them to me before I got them.

>They are dark brahma x utility breed
    > hens... Options are white rock, white leghorn, or rhode island red. If
    > I had to guess I'd say from the 2 white breeds. 1 is mostly white with
    > some light gray speckles, and 1 is white and black speckled. They both
    > have some leg feathers.

They have both grown up since then, and Charlie now has a mix of speckle on his body and his tail feathers alternate between beetle-black and black barring. Latte has very pale beige tail feathers- it reminded me of when you have a little coffee with your creme and sugar [​IMG] and you can kinda see it in the picture that he has a faint beige barring on his sides. Charlie is the bigger of the two. If I let them cross with my barred rocks, what kinda chickens dya think I'll get? I don't mind a barnyard mix as long as they still have good egg production and the roos will be decent for meat.

My barred rock roo Leon was dragged off by something- I suspect a coyote- so unless I find a BR roo nearby I'm just going to get chicks this spring from these two. I have a favorelle that's just steps away from broody already, so I've got a feathered incubator. I just wanted a little better idea what kind of gene pool I'm working with.

Thanks for all the help so far!

9. chickmashnoon

Farmerchef, the dad was a darkbrahma, altho I'm assuming hatchery quality.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by