Brahma Feed

www.thefrugalchicken.com writes that a laying brahma hen should be fed 16% protein feed. That seems a bit low. Could it be because they are large chickens that lay medium to large eggs (a bit small for such a large bird)?
I feed 20% protein for all breeds. Larger breeds I see do better on a higher protein diet. As well as mid sized, & bantam breeds. Any lower I get super skinny birds, cuz they're not getting enough to maintain muscle mass.

www.thefrugalchicken.com writes that a laying brahma hen should be fed 16% protein feed. That seems a bit low. Could it be because they are large chickens that lay medium to large eggs (a bit small for such a large bird)?
I have a light brahma that will be 4 this year, I have always fed 20% protein feed and she lays XL eggs. I suppose it's just a matter of opinion

Maat van Uitert is well educated - in debate, public speaking, and law. NOT a poultry nutritionist, merely a media personality.

"By using this website, you agree that the information on this website is for educational purposes only and is not meant to treat, diagnose, or cure illnesses or diseases. This website does not replace medical or veterinary advice by a licensed veterinarian. FrugalChicken, LLC is not a licensed veterinary service."

and no sources offered.

Not surprising, on this topic. There are few breed specific studies on poultry nutrition, and those that do exist focus on commercially important breeds - Cx (and related), Leghorns, Production Reds. Not much else. Between those extremes, the author of that site can draw reasonable inferences, just as I am forced to do (like many others), and make educated suppositions. But without showing thier sources, I would place little value on their opinion. What to feed your bird varies with age, gender, purpose, resources - its a mistake to start with an unsupported opinion (which just happens to be the NRCS recommended minimum for adult production layers) then start guessing at conditions that might seem to explain it.

Better to start from first principles. Brahma are slow growing birds who are inferequent layers of relatively small eggs relative to body size - its makes sense that they would need a less energy and nutritionally dense feed than the rapidly growing Cx or the massive egg production of a production Red. Otohg, Brahma are a relatively heavy feathered bird, which would suggest they need more of the things responsible for feather production. Feathers are primarily keratin, and keratin is made up of long string proteins with an unusualy high density of sulphur-containing amino acids. What are the key SAAs? Methionine and Cystiene. What AA is hard to find in plant sources, so the US "method" for achieving desired minimum amounts is (usually) to boost overall protein levels? Yep, Methionine.

Conclusion. Read it on the internet? Don't trust. go straight to Verify.

I also feed kalmbach 20% protein all flock feed and use oyster shell for calcium. In my auto feeders I will use a 16-17% layer blend. But I have balanced the feeding schedule so each chickens needs are met. You could just do 16% and feed them oats on the side something with high protein

Question. Can you give laying hens above 16% protein and it still be good for laying? i have never had chickens so I truly don't know how the protein ratio can affect them once they are laying.

Yes. Many, perhaps most of us on BYC feed our layers more than 16% protein, as we have mixed flocks of pets (or semi-pets), not a collection of young, production layers with focus on mimizing costs. The only down side is cost. The up sides are very small and diificult to measure. Mostly seen in improved desease reissitance, shorter molts, lower tendencies towards certain anti-social behaviors (like feather picking/eating).

If you do, as we recommend, provide an "All Flock"-type formulation, be sure to have a source of free choice calcium (such as oyster shell) to support laying hens higher calcium needs. Given the option, most birds are quite good at self regulating calcium intake.

Yes. Many, perhaps most of us on BYC feed our layers more than 16% protein, as we have mixed flocks of pets (or semi-pets), not a collection of young, production layers with focus on mimizing costs. The only down side is cost. The up sides are very small and diificult to measure. Mostly seen in improved desease reissitance, shorter molts, lower tendencies towards certain anti-social behaviors (like feather picking/eating).

If you do, as we recommend, provide an "All Flock"-type formulation, be sure to have a source of free choice calcium (such as oyster shell) to support laying hens higher calcium needs. Given the option, most birds are quite good at self regulating calcium intake.
Thank you. Could you provide a recipe if you like for an "All Flock" type of formulation?

Back
Top Bottom