Brahma feet looking pink- losing feathers?

Before the oil. Let dry. Then do the oil. Applying the Blu-kote is easier using a Q-tip than the shoe polish applicator that comes in the bottle. Be careful. The stuff stains.
Friday I gave her the blue coat and castor oil treatment. Yesterday I put some Vaseline on as well. When do I need to apply more or expect any improvement? Her legs are like indigo right now so hard to see if she’s still irritated.

You will need to trust blindly for now that the oils you've applied have smothered the leg mites. It will take a number of months for the scales to improve, but probably much sooner for the legs to lose the appearance of irritated tissue as she dirt bathes and the Blue-kote wears off. Feathers missing will also regrow pretty quickly in the weeks to come. You may do another oil treatment in two weeks to be sure you got any mites that hatched.

You will need to trust blindly for now that the oils you've applied have smothered the leg mites. It will take a number of months for the scales to improve, but probably much sooner for the legs to lose the appearance of irritated tissue as she dirt bathes and the Blue-kote wears off. Feathers missing will also regrow pretty quickly in the weeks to come. You may do another oil treatment in two weeks to be sure you got any mites that hatched.
So it’s been about a week since I gave her her treatment. Most of the blue coat has worn off, and I can see some feather growth, although it mostly looks like the stems of the feathers. They look like they have broken but are much thicker and longer now. She still looks kind of red in those areas, but is that kind of common when they are regrowing feathers? I will take a picture tomorrow, she broke a toenail today so she’s been kind of uncomfortable.

Vetericyn wound spray is just the thing for this type of irritation. It will soothe the tissue and keep bacteria from inflaming the feet. Use it several times a day.

Vetericyn wound spray is just the thing for this type of irritation. It will soothe the tissue and keep bacteria from inflaming the feet. Use it several times a day.
Not a great pic but all I could manage tonight. I definitely think it’s more irritation than I do mites. I’ll get the spray tomorrow at TSC. Thanks!

Attachments

• 159BBDE3-2B53-4E97-BEB8-5C33B6A23764.jpeg
    159BBDE3-2B53-4E97-BEB8-5C33B6A23764.jpeg
    688.7 KB · Views: 8
So I did the vet spray for a few days. Not much really changed, may be a bit less pink, but it got worse when the weather got rainy. Her sister, with many more feathers, also got a little pink during this time. I did a couple oil treatments for both of them since then, and today I actually managed to submerge their entire legs in mineral oil. I will try the vet spray once the oil has worn off a bit, but I’m kind of out of ideas. I know the feathers will take a little longer to regrow, I’m just concerned with the redness.

Back
Top Bottom