Brahma lost a foot feather, potential illness? (blood warning)

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Today my Brahma (3 years old) lost a foot feather, she’s bleeding A LOT and ends up she hasn’t been able to get to the feed so she was also vomiting up liquids (I’m making the food accessible to her). I’ve already treated her and am bandaging her up but I was wondering how to prevent her losing feet feathers

Her feet look like that because she lost most her toes to frost bite in her old home

Edit; I just realized the past couple nights she’s been sleeping in the nesting boxes, I figured it was because her friend is my silkie who prefers roosting on the sides of the nesting boxes even when I move her to the roost but last night my sapphire olive egger was sleeping on the nesting boxes too- which could be a bullying issues they are newer to the flock but her sister(my other SOG) was roosting and she’s the more skittish nervous one (So Rocky was on the nesting boxes and Bullwinkle was on the roost. Bullwinkle is much more nervous then Rocky is and more prone to being picked on)

Picture in comments of Milk(my brahma) now and when I got her incase of any signs of illness that I am missing

Attachments

• IMG_6591.jpeg
    IMG_6591.jpeg
    406.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6592.jpeg
    IMG_6592.jpeg
    358.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Oh no! Try getting them blood to stop and see what happens then. Yes make sure she is eating!
I used frankincense oil and silver pet ointment (I’m not an oils person but that specific oil stops bleeding and silver pet ointment it’s like a safer bluekote)

She’s taking a nap now, she was drinking and eating, thankfully I think she’s fine! Just want to know how to prevent it in the future

Forgot to add, this is what she looks like. She’s been part of my flock for a few weeks now and isn’t showing any signs of bad health so I think her face just looks old/sick but if any of you see anything 100% wrong please let me know

Last photo is from the day I got her, I don’t notice a difference but maybe someone will

Attachments

• IMG_6593.jpeg
    IMG_6593.jpeg
    416.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6594.jpeg
    IMG_6594.jpeg
    429.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6595.jpeg
    IMG_6595.jpeg
    453 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6003.jpeg
    IMG_6003.jpeg
    1,021.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Looks like she had a bloody feather come out on the other foot. Does that look like molting? I don’t see any bugs anywhere on her

Attachments

• IMG_6617.jpeg
    IMG_6617.jpeg
    474.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6616.jpeg
    IMG_6616.jpeg
    443.8 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom