Brahma roo or pullet?

sukochickens

Songster
6 Years
Mar 16, 2015
Virginia
About 5 weeks ago I bought 6 buff brahma chicks from our local feed store. They were sold as pullets. They were about 1 week old when I bought them, so they're about 6 weeks old now. There has been one I've been questioning from the beginning. It had a larger comb than the others and has been slower to feather than the rest. Watching them forage, it seems to be the one staying on the outskirts of the flock and not as afraid to wander a little farther from the rest. Do you think it's a roo or maybe just a bit younger than the others?

Its the one farthest to the right.

It's the one closest to the duck.

I can get some more pics if you need. I was trying to get a couple with some other chicks in it to compare feathering. I haven't heard any crowing yet, but I know Brahmas are slow to mature in general. I'm just curious. Thanks!

Oh, I forgot to mention, it also has a much smaller tail than the rest. Hardly any tail at all yet, actually. Not sure if that indicates anything.

I'm still not positive on gender but I think there are possibly 2 roos now. They're currently 9 weeks old.

Their tails are different than the other 4. But some of the females look like they have redder combs. Their combs look more red in these pics than they do in person.

Last edited:
Looks like a cockerel. Cockerels are much more shaggy looking at that age than pullets. The legs look huge too. Like you said, the tail feathers are hardly there. Cockerels take a while to get tail feathers. Here's my dark brahma pullet at 5 weeks old. Even though it's a different color, same breed.

Note the much more developed tail feathers and even feathering.

Back
Top Bottom