Brahma Roos sore feet

pgpoultry

Songster
10 Years
Oct 16, 2009
Wales
3 of my Brahma roos have developed red swellings on their feet and seem to have a bit of foot feather loss (not a lot).
It doesn't look anything like scaly mite.
Anybody any ideas.
I was planning to bathe the boys' feet in dilute iodine and then to get some antibiotics from the vet. if they did not improve. They free range and bed down with Warrens who are not similarly affected.
What would anyone else do?

Many thanks,
Sandie

Sandie, there are three of us (that I know of) that have been battling this with our brahma roo's feet for the past year or more. I will try to find you the threads where we have discussed it and post the link here.
Basically we have tried everything - treatment for mites, fungus, bacterial, etc., nothing helps.
barnie.gif

Still working on it at my house.

Okay, here are the links. Hope they can help you gain some insight.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=244582

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=340742

Wynette is sending me some Virkon tablets, which she has been told will help. I have the time to deal with it and she doesn't right now, so we're hoping it will help and we can all benefit.

Good luck to you!
ETA: It just occured to me that I know a brahma expert that is a BYC member. Since it seems to be a problem only affecting brahma roos, I will see if he can take a look at these threads and offer insight.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hey, just got a chance to read this thread and the links. I have not seen this before. Looking at how red and irritated the the leggs are, I would put my money on some type of external parasite. I would think Ivermectin, or the human treatments for lice, would be a good place to start. Sorry I could not be more help. Does your state have a good Ag. school or Dept of Agriculture lab that might be able to be offer some advise.

Hi, Many thanks for your help.

I'll start with a good wash to the legs followed by ivermectin and then permethrin.

MY boys' feet look just like the pic., so I guess I'm in for the long haul,

Where would we be without BYC???

Thanks again,

sandie

Quote:
Hey, just got a chance to read this thread and the links. I have not seen this before. Looking at how red and irritated the the leggs are, I would put my money on some type of external parasite. I would think Ivermectin, or the human treatments for lice, would be a good place to start. Sorry I could not be more help. Does your state have a good Ag. school or Dept of Agriculture lab that might be able to be offer some advise.

Thanks so much for taking the time to look and reply Big.
hugs.gif

Unfortunately we are on our own here in SW Arkansas. Both myself and another BYCer have contacted Dr. Brown "the chicken doctor" but the treatments he suggested - hibiclens baths followed by permethrin - didn't help my roo. Neither did ivermectin. My vet can't see chickens. She is mainly a livestock vet and as many of her clients have commercial chicken houses, she doesn't want to take a chance on having a backyard bird in her facility. Just talking to her about it she suggested the same treatment as Dr. Brown.
I've had the most results from using anti-fungal spray on his legs. However, according to my HUMAN doctor (believe it or not!) if it's fungal it could take a year or more of treatment!
pgpoultry, I'm going to try the virkon tablets. I'll let you know if I see some improvement.

Did you do the follow up treatments at 10 day increments, to allow for eggs hatching, if it is a mite, or some such wee beastie ?

Quote:
Yes. Today I realized something though. I was given a couple bottles of Poultry Protector. I decided to use it occasionally just to be sure, ya know? So the first time I used it was a couple of weeks ago. I sprayed all the crevices in the coop, the bedding and for good measure I sprayed my roo's feet. Today I noticed that while his feet still look red, the feathers are growing back. Maybe we're back to the mite theory?

Please let me know if any of the treatments that you are trying work.
I went to my vet. with a picture of the legs/feet and she just looked blank and said nothing sprung to mind, so that avenue was not very helpful.

I dipped their feet in weak iodine solution and applied some vaseline yesterday and was planning on antiseptic cream today. As some folk haven't found ivermectin to be too helpful I will probably try the head lice treatment permethrin in the next few days.

Thanks again for the suggestions,

sandie

Quote:
I'll let you know how much progress I make with the poultry protector and/or the virkon tablets.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom