chloeg001

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2024
Hi all please be gentle with judgement as this has been a very stressful and anxious situation. This has been going on since summer 2023 and I have been trying my absolute hardest to deal with this. My silkie rooster has had swollen feet for quite awhile now. At the time, I thought it would go down because looking at the bottom of both feet he didn’t have scabbing like bumblefoot but he did/does have scaly mites which I have been treating. Well, his feet got worse with swelling to where it’s hard for him to walk. He was taken to the vet in November which he was prescribed amoxicillin and sent back home. The swelling did go down some and while looking at his feet it seemed infection was trying to come out. I also suspected it could’ve been gout so he was also given small amounts of cherry tart juice. Fast forward to December, he was taken back to the same vet because I was extremely concerned with his feet not getting better. The vet told me that “there was no ongoing infection it was just calcified at the top (meaning the scabbing), I had nothing to worry about, and that he would give me amoxicillin if I felt like it was necessary but I probably didn’t need it” including them not lancing/cutting a foot just to see if there is infection when I asked. Obviously I left very upset and angry because I felt like I wasn’t being heard. Well the second dose of amoxicillin did absolutely nothing. And about a week or so ago I carefully did some bumblefoot surgery and his entire feet are just infection. I tried my hardest to flush and use a hemostat to get rid of the pus. Sorry for the long paragraph but I am at complete loss as I don’t know what else to do for him. Diego is 7 years old and hasn’t crowed for months now because I know he feels unwell. Below I have attached a photo of his feet without scabbing before the vet and post vet with a week after surgery. My questions are: should he be put down because of this on going condition, do I try to reopen or apply prid to the scabbing that was opened? Thank you for understanding.

Attachments

• 72054741313__8F669908-7397-4235-8FAC-69FB8CC3050B.jpeg
    72054741313__8F669908-7397-4235-8FAC-69FB8CC3050B.jpeg
    534.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1171.jpeg
    IMG_1171.jpeg
    437.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1173.jpeg
    IMG_1173.jpeg
    430.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1174.jpeg
    IMG_1174.jpeg
    481.2 KB · Views: 19
You have the right intuition. Listen to it. It comes from the wise part of your brain.

Here are the reasons why it's time to euthanize this rooster. It's not bumblefoot any longer. It's systemic infection, likely involving the bones in his feet and possibly legs. Amoxicillin will not do squat for it. In addition to that, the bacteria is likely in his blood stream as well, affecting his overall health and well being. And, finally, he is very likely in a lot of pain. When an animal or human is saddled with chronic pain, all their energy and focus is on coping with it. Life becomes not worth living.

Reasons for not euthanizing him - zero.

I reasoned with the comments and decided that my pretty boy didn’t deserve to suffer any longer. I humanely euthanized him through the means of cervical dislocation with a broom stick. I found it quick and somewhat less traumatic. Thank you for understanding. My baby will be missed.

I reasoned with the comments and decided that my pretty boy didn’t deserve to suffer any longer. I humanely euthanized him through the means of cervical dislocation with a broom stick. I found it quick and somewhat less traumatic. Thank you for understanding. My baby will be missed.
So sorry. I think you did the right thing. :hugs

:hugsI'm sorry about your rooster.

Back
Top Bottom