Brahma Rooster

Keep an eye on him. He's young yet, and this behavior frequently escalates into flogging.
Agreed. That "Happy Dance" is a challenge. He is flat-out challenging you and disrespecting you. Many roosters (especially flock rooster who have hens to protect) do not respect hugging. Their little chicken brains do not understand that you are being affectionate. In my opinion, the best rooster is one who keeps his distance and moves away when I come near the flock.

It is lol! When Negan danced he was always looking straight up at the girls on the roost like "this is for you ladies!" They were of course a captive audience since his silly butt was dancing in the doorway. :)
sounds like my rooster. it's i think it's just showing off like everything else a rooster does lol. mine will always settle down when he gets a hug

Agreed. That "Happy Dance" is a challenge. He is flat-out challenging you and disrespecting you. Many roosters (especially flock rooster who have hens to protect) do not respect hugging. Their little chicken brains do not understand that you are being affectionate. In my opinion, the best rooster is one who keeps his distance and moves away when I come near the flock.
IMG_1979.JPG

i think roosters definitely understand hugs and affection. maybe even more than dogs and cats

Isn’t that the “dance” roos do when they want the hens to mate with them.
My roo does that to the hens, especially when I first let them out in the morning.
Three of my pullets are still maturing so they just run away from him lol.
My SL will sometimes squat so he can mount her though. She’s matured faster then the others.
You might want to be careful if you're crouched down doing something, you might get more than you bargained for!:eek:

I really do not believe he is being mean! He can’t wait for me to hug him! When I walk away he follows me or crows for me! I can call him from anywhere and he comes running! I think he is so cool I could not hug and love him!

I really do not believe he is being mean! He can’t wait for me to hug him! When I walk away he follows me or crows for me! I can call him from anywhere and he comes running! I think he is so cool I could not hug and love him!

The dance he does is a challenge in chicken language, and the hug you give him is likely interpreted by him as a sort of gentle but firm assertion of dominance. He's saying "Look at me, I'm big an tough! I could fight you if I wanted to!" This dance-hug routine you do might just be how things go every morning, but as he ages he may feel the need to challenge you further by taking swipes at you with his feet and beak, as others have mentioned. If this happens all you have to do is make sure he understands you're always going to be the top bird, which is easy to do just by picking him up and carrying him around for a couple minutes while restraining his feet so he can't kick. Since he's known you since a young age and he trusts you, this should reinforce his respect for you and it should give him the chance to simmer down.

I have a similar boy at home. He's a little silkie cockerel, not quite 6mo old now, and he started dropping his wing at me a couple weeks ago- the same as your boy's dance but with hardly any footwork. I just give him a couple pats on the head, neck, or back and he usually backs down, but sometimes he drops his wing again after the pats and I pick him up and cuddle and pet him, and after that he's usually done with trying to challenge me for a while. If not I pick him back up and carry him through the house for a little while, that always gets the job done!

Boy chickens can be so nice.

Back
Top Bottom