Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

vortec

Songster
10 Years
Jan 29, 2009
Martin County, NC
I am not sure if there has already been a brahma thread or not. Anyway, Lets make this the thread to post all of your pics of your light, dark, buff-standard, bantam, brahmas for everybody to see. I'll get mine up soon.

vortec

Here's a pic of my 3 light brahmas along with our buff orps and black astralorps. This pic is them at about 6 weeks. They are 7 weeks now.

P1030722.JPG

Is she a bantam or LF? Large Brahmas are VERY slow to mature. Six weeks is way too young to really know much. Her top-line looks good. Her coloring does not. Those are basically baby feathers at six weeks so they should molt out. There should be improvement as her adult feathers come in. The lacing is poor and her head should be more white. Again six weeks is way to early to tell much, especially on the LF. A wide, well spread, upside down "U" shaped tail is an important point of type in Brahmas. Over-all width from front to back is very important as well. Can't really tell much about her width from the side photos.
I have large and bantam darks. The darks typically lack the type of the other recognized varieties in bantam and LF. Glad to see you are working on darks. Hang in there.

Tim Lindenborn

P.S. Please don't be put off by my candor. I appreciate honesty when I ask a question and feel like I owe it to people who have a serious interest and passion for Brahmas.

Cheryl, First and foremost we should be good to each other, everyone does not play on the same level, sounds like your marketing skills would make mine look horrid also sounds like Tim is probably a bit more educated on Brahmas than me also. I think we must enjoy the birds whether pets, food, showing, breeding or all of the above. Lets remember we are all here because we love the birds. I do think we have a responsibility to improve the breed but I also know some people could not do this in any way. So lets have fun.

Cheryl I think you are right we need to start some where to get some where obviously someone loved your birds and saw potential. I would love to share in your wisdom of marketing any and all advise please

Tim your critics are welcome also I plan on posting pics of my birds soon and would love you candid thoughts just don't shoot me I am trying to improve type and color but would love to know where to go next.

Edited by BYC staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Four Corners Poultry Show.
Champion of Show - Buff pullet

Reserve Champion Feather-legged Light Cockerel Lindenborn lines

Champion in Show - Youth Show Buff pullet

You can feed and water your birds and remove poop. The only time you are not allowed to handle or mess with your birds is when the judge is on the aisle. Even if your birds are the only Brahmas they are only eligble for BV, a non-recognized variety can not be BB. BTW You can coop in early on the day of the show. Judging typically begins at 9am, so your birds need to be cooped and groomed by then. The first time I went to a show I had NO IDEA what to do. Believe me, everyone has been there and everyone is more than willing to help you in any way they can. Chicken shows are the greatest thing. After a while the winning and losing are not the main thing. You get to meet people who love Brahmas as much as you. You get to "talk chicken" all day. Some of my best friends are people I have met through showing. Try it, you will like it!!!

Tim

Oh thanks for the heads up. Yes I am getting Darks from Wil he is very helpful. I wonder how I could reach others who sell adult brahmas? Most will only sell eggs/chicks

You're dealing with amateur breeders then. Most good breeders will only sell juveniles or adults. I suggest joining the Brahma Club, or contacting the District Director for the Brahma Club in your area at the very least: http://www.americanbrahmaclub.org/club-officers.html

You are missing about 99% of the fun of having birds....in my opinion. As with most things in life, you get more out of something the more you put into it. I'm not talking about money either. It is VERY rewarding to choose your matings, hatch and brood your own chicks, and raise them to maturity. EVERY year your "line" should improve. You are in essence a "steward" of the breed. If you choose to have them, I believe it is your responsibility to improve them.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom