Brahma's

Peytonjane

Hatching
Feb 6, 2017
I am currently raising Brahma's. I did some research and found that the breed is suppose to be docile. I have a roo that is 11 months old. He is extremely mean. Chases me when I go in the yard, have to watch my little Pom. He is even aggressive to the hens. Is this normal and if not what can I do to better the situation. Thanks' Peytonjane

I am currently raising Brahma's. I did some research and found that the breed is suppose to be docile. I have a roo that is 11 months old. He is extremely mean. Chases me when I go in the yard, have to watch my little Pom. He is even aggressive to the hens. Is this normal and if not what can I do to better the situation. Thanks' Peytonjane
It can happen, but I can tell you how to fix him so he stops this. Ring neck, pluck, cut up, and boil the meanness out of him. Works every time, But until then if you are going to keep him until you find another----go in the coop at night and get him----take a limb cutter and clip the points off his spurs, because if he Nails you to the bone with those spurs----It will be hard to walk on that leg the next day.

There are exceptions in every breed. Roosters in particular can be temperamental, as your rooster is demonstrating.

If the rooster is damaging your hens or close to injuring you, the best option would probably be to cull him or rehome him to a place with lots of hens and little human contact. If you want to "reform" him, though, I would try displaying unrelenting dominance when you're around him. If he chases you, chase him. If he attacks you, grab him and pin him to the ground. Don't let him up until he relaxes. If he attacks again once you let him up, repeat until he gets up calmly. I would also recommend trimming his spurs to minimize possible damage to you or other birds.

Brahma's are BIG and a mean one could do a lot of damage. I'd rehome him and get a rooster with typical Brahma disposition. Never a good reason to keep a bad roo!

Brahma's are BIG and a mean one could do a lot of damage. I'd rehome him and get a rooster with typical Brahma disposition. Never a good reason to keep a bad roo!

I never wanted to rehome a bad one----next owner might get hurt real bad----I would feel like it was my fault----Just saying. But if You be straight with a interested person----then if they still took him----that would be on them then.

You can re-home for butchering if that is outside your comfort zone. But I concur that he is best suited to becoming food.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will try to re- claim dominance and if at the end he is still boss will try to re-home and make

sure they know he is aggressive. He is a beautiful rooster and he is young, maybe there is hope for him.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will try to re- claim dominance and if at the end he is still boss will try to re-home and make

sure they know he is aggressive. He is a beautiful rooster and he is young, maybe there is hope for him.

OK, I have broke a few------I had 37 breeder roosters last year with some extra roosters on stand by. In order to break him, most of the time if it can be done you have to get real serious and FIRM------so he respects you and goes the other way when you walk in-----you Know What I mean??? You can pick him up and try to love the meanness out of him but that usually doesn't work. Good Luck----spurs clipped if needed!!

Last edited:
Wanted to update u on my Brahma Rooster he is no longer aggressive. He chassed me and I did not back down I chassed him and when we stopped running all was good. Now when I approach him he walks the other way. I think, thanks to your advice we will be keeping him. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.

Van Anyone Explain This Egg Was In Nesting Box When I collected eggs
Just a little larger than a quarter.I raise buff Brahma's.am going to try and post pic
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom