Brahmas

I have a question if anyone could help. I have 2 chickens that were born in April. They are both very pretty and have feathered feet. Originally I was told that they were cochins, but I am thinking Brahmas. At least Sissy, the white one. The other, not sure. Any ideas?

Well I would say the bird on the left is a columbian patterned, much more commonly found in light Brahmas. The bird on the right looks like it might be trying to be silver laced, not too common in either breed.

What would help is too know what comb type each bird has as Brahmas should have pea combs (B) and Cochins single ( A) from the chart below. Granted this depicts combs on adult males, but gives somewhere to start.

Last edited:
Thank you. We shall see.
clap.gif

Nice bird heyfoe. It takes awhile for them to start laying. I have two light brahma pullets that just started laying (I've receivd 8 eggs from the 2 so far) and we had 10 light brahma roosters (they were in the same batch and were supposed to be girls also.) They were growing into beautiful birds but we had to get rid of 8 of them (big fights) and had to segregate the other light brahma rooster because he was being constantly harassed by the other ones. We now have 6 more light brahma chicks (from the same feed store) that are close to 3 weeks old now. Hopefully we will have better luck with getting more girls.

I am thinking of getting Brahmas but was wondering with their size how much more food do they need compared to say a Rhode Island Red?

This is my first time having Brahmas and they're really kind of fun so far (we've only had them 3 weeks). Here's a few pictures of mine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom