Brand new chicken owner!

1girl2chicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
California
Hii, I'm new to this site, tonight is actually the first night with my two new 3 day old chicks. I've been waiting to get a chicken since I was 8 or so and now I'm 18 so today was an exciting day today!! :] Who knew they chirped so much? I finally turned on the heating lamp for them so they're starting to fall asleep.
Let me tell you about my birds..
One is a white plymouth rock chicken, I named her Blondie
The other is a silver wyandotte chicken and her name is Pilot.
Pictures later? Most likely!

Well I think it's off to bed for me!
Any first time chicken owner tips for me? I would appreciate it.
-Halley

welcome-byc.gif
You might want to head to the Learning Center for starters, Then to Raising Backyard chickens to the thread 'Raising chicks.' It would be good to include "where am I where are you, so you can find your state thread and post on that as well.

Good luck with your peeps!!silver wyandottes are awesome btw :) tip:if either of them seem weak,or out of sorts,get them some save- a-chick electrolytes,and mix some up for them to drink,FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!over.saturating the water will kill them! Tip 2:if the slightest thing seems to be wrong,the people of BYC will be glad to help! :D

Greetings from Kansas, Hally, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here - happy you entered the wonderful world of poultry! Your birds might have been cheeping so much because of cold. Unless you have them in a super warm place, they need they heat up on all the time for the first few weeks. Good luck to you!

Thanks everyone, I'm so glad I found this site
woot.gif

But yeah, Redsoxs, my chickadee's were cold. I didn't realize they needed it to be 90-95 degrees in their first week until I did some research. So once I found that out I realized that was exactly why they were chirping. Luckily my dad had a lamp to act as a heating lamp and after that they fell asleep within a few minutes :)

Back
Top Bottom